• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good morning. My name's Kevin...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I've been lurking on these forums for a little while now because I'm wishing to move away from the permie world into contracting. It's something I looked at a few years ago but because I'm based in a rural area of the UK the long commute times wasn't something that was acceptable to my wife. I no longer have that restraint.

I must say that the advice on these forums has been an excellent resource to me and I like all general sense of humour displayed. I think I'm pretty much set now; just awaiting my first break.

Anyway, just thought I'd say 'Hi' and I'm looking forward to being part of the community.

-Kevin

Welcome to CUK Kevin!
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
      Hi all,

I've been lurking on these forums for a little while now because I'm wishing to move away from the permie world into contracting. It's something I looked at a few years ago but because I'm based in a rural area of the UK the long commute times wasn't something that was acceptable to my wife. I no longer have that restraint.

I must say that the advice on these forums has been an excellent resource to me and I like all general sense of humour displayed. I think I'm pretty much set now; just awaiting my first break.

Anyway, just thought I'd say 'Hi' and I'm looking forward to being part of the community.

-Kevin
      Well if you've been lurking for a while you should be able to answer these.

Gladiators?
      Curtains, Rug, Carpet?
      Booze?
      Food?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Hi Dave,

When I say 'a while' I guess that's a relative term. I've been looking at the forums since last Sunday.

I did do a search for 'gladiators' here, and that yielded an incredible amount of results given the nature of these forums lol. Alas, I gave up at page 2 of the search results so I'm afraid I'll have to fail the initiation

-Kevin

Comment

Hi Dave,

When I say 'a while' I guess that's a relative term. I've been looking at the forums since last Sunday.

I did do a search for 'gladiators' here, and that yielded an incredible amount of results given the nature of these forums lol. Alas, I gave up at page 2 of the search results so I'm afraid I'll have to fail the initiation

-Kevin
          Have you bled your radiators?
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Well if you've been lurking for a while you should be able to answer these.

Gladiators?
            Curtains, Rug, Carpet?
            Booze?
            Food?
            Hi Dave,

-Kevin
            The correct answers are:

Yes.
            No.
            In the sideboard, help yourself.
            In the kitchen. but I wouldnt trust the houmus, it's a bit out of date.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              The correct answers are:

Yes.
              No.
              In the sideboard, help yourself.
              In the kitchen. but I wouldnt trust the houmus, it's a bit out of date.
              The houmous was fine
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I'm based in a rural area of the UK the long commute times wasn't something that was acceptable to my wife. I no longer have that restraint.
                OK, I'm intrigued. Which one had to go, the wife or the house in the country?

Oh and welcome to the forum too.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

And what is your name in the afternoons? Helen?
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Still Lurking...

Hi again,

Still lurking, but as I requested my username and password to be reset, on filling out my profile I did smile inside at one of the profile options (bottom option):

Edit Profile

On the contracting side, I did get my first break - 13 months ago now. I'm still delivering in the same non-financial institution that was initially for a three-month period, and I can safely say that embarking on this journey was well worthwhile for me. I do, however, loathe the M25.

-Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X