• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This annoys me - validation and formatting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This annoys me - validation and formatting

Just going to login to one of my online bank accounts.

It says this

Please enter a 10-digit customer number. (Try adding zeros to the beginning if your number is not long enough)
    How about this, web devs, if the number is not long enough you could left pad the number with zeroes and make the users life a bit easier eh?

Same with postcodes, where it rejects because you've entered spaces between the out code and the in code, or you've entered telephone numbers and put spaces between the area code and the phone number. Devs, you can strip the spaces out, don't make users do this for you.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

It says this

How about this, web devs, if the number is not long enough you could left pad the number with zeroes and make the users life a bit easier eh?

Same with postcodes, where it rejects because you've entered spaces between the out code and the in code, or you've entered telephone numbers and put spaces between the area code and the phone number. Devs, you can strip the spaces out, don't make users do this for you.

You should be grateful your Basic Bank Account has even has an on-line facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      You should be grateful your Basic Bank Account has even has an on-line facility.
      I got a set of free crayons when I opened it. Which was nice.

Comment

I got a set of free crayons when I opened it. Which was nice.
        Was the indigestion bad?

Comment

Rainbow poop
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Was the indigestion bad?
            You can cure it by eating chalk.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It says this

Sounds like a piece of Nick Fitz development. This is the exact nature of the piece of data I need, you as a user are an idiot, therefore even though it's easy to
              write I am going to put up a smug user message and increment the counter NickKnowsBest by one.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Sounds like a piece of Nick Fitz development. This is the exact nature of the piece of data I need, you as a user are an idiot, therefore even though it's easy to
                write I am going to put up a smug user message and increment the counter NickKnowsBest by one.
                Of course the invalid number could occur for a number of reasons i.e. because they skipped or mistyped one of the other digits, in which case you've potentially tried to log them into a different account than the one they intended, which if they retry several times thinking they have the password wrong could result in that other account being randomly locked.

Given that users usually are idiots, it's probably the lesser of two evils to annoy the one who can't get his number right than just annoy one at random.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It says this

The credit card number one is worse. Where the number is rejected if you leave spaces between groups of 4 digits.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    The credit card number one is worse. Where the number is rejected if you leave spaces between groups of 4 digits.
                    PM me your details and I'll see of I can get it to work for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X