• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ClientCo wants me perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ClientCo wants me perm

Evenin all

ClientCo has a 2 yr policy on contractors. I'm 16 months in. Project likely to be running for a lot longer... and client getting antsy about me not going to be around after 24 months. Wants me to convert, and I get the impression this is sooner rather than later. Ugh.

Would rather stay contract until the 24 month mark, then consider (reluctantly). Actually, I don't really want to go perm at all, I would just like to take it to the 24 months and then find another contract...

I obviously don't want to lose a valuable client, but what to do if they really try to force it? Current contract due to be up in 2 months, so they could try to move then.

Damn damn damn, why such a stupid policy!?!
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    Evenin all

ClientCo has a 2 yr policy on contractors. I'm 16 months in. Project likely to be running for a lot longer... and client getting antsy about me not going to be around after 24 months. Wants me to convert, and I get the impression this is sooner rather than later. Ugh.

Would rather stay contract until the 24 month mark, then consider (reluctantly). Actually, I don't really want to go perm at all, I would just like to take it to the 24 months and then find another contract...

I obviously don't want to lose a valuable client, but what to do if they really try to force it? Current contract due to be up in 2 months, so they could try to move then.

As I say to them. I am an IT whore. You go to a whore, pay your money and get a great service but don’t make a fool of yourself and ask one to marry you.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Evenin all

How are they valuable?
      By doing this they've jeopardised your IR35 status and put a finite limit on how long they expect the B2B relationship to last.

If you don't want to go perm then politely decline and get looking for a truly valuable client
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

They have a need you don't, exploit the position you've been given.

Part time hours, 3 months holiday are my terms take it or leave it.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Evenin all

Tell them fine, you'll join as an employee but you don't expect a detrimental change to your current compensation package.

If they can offer you that, then fine.

If not, find another client.

Simples.

Comment

Evenin all

If they want you there are usually ways around these things. I reached the 3 year "limit" on my first contract but they still offered me another 6 months as I was adamant I wasn't going perm! As it turned out I had something turn up and left, but am back again now.

I'm sure if they think you are important then they can raise an exception. Business continuity, skills retention and all that.

GL, suggest some hard ball and see if there are exceptions to the rule. Escalate it high enough and someone can ok it.
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 20 May 2011, 07:40.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
            X