• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many of you can read music?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you can read music?

Without looking at the song title printed at the top of the sheet music below (I'll trust you ), how many of you would be able to work out the tune from that alone, or make any sense out of that gibberish whatsoever?

I can read it no problem
    25.00%
    wtf is that
    29.17%
    AndyW never flies a military helicopter without a bowl of spagetti perched on his lap
    45.83%

And the other question is, what, if any, is the algorithm to convert sheet music as above into monosyllabic ASCII, so that it can be uttered?

Moscow Mule provided a brave rendition here, but how faithful is this to the tune and can it be improved upon? Preferably using only ner, neer, nerrr, etc.

Comment

As a veteran of grade 8 piano, I went for the WTF! option. Partly because I didn't know the tune in question and partly because that's a godawful transcription. A#'s for heaven's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        And the other question is, what, if any, is the algorithm to convert sheet music as above into monosyllabic ASCII, so that it can be uttered?

Moscow Mule provided a brave rendition here, but how faithful is this to the tune and can it be improved upon? Preferably using only ner, neer, nerrr, etc.
        There's software that will scan sheet music and convert to a midi file or for importing into a scorewriter for playback.

Quicker and simpler just to play it.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

25 years ago I might have been able to read it but not now. Surely there's an "app for it"?

Comment

Only made it to grade 4, even still i operate by the ear and not by sight. I play my enya from time to time to bring calm.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I played the clarinet in the school orchestra so I could read music when I was a kid. I can't do it now!
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post

As a veteran of grade 8 piano, I went for the WTF! option. Partly because I didn't know the tune in question and partly because that's a godawful transcription. A#'s for heaven's sake.
                My thoughts exactly, and I only reached grade 2.

I heard of someone who could tell what was on an LP just by looking at the bands.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  My thoughts exactly, and I only reached grade 2.

I heard of someone who could tell what was on an LP just by looking at the bands.
                  Urban myth - shirley?

Comment

I can read the guitar chords on sheet music when it says G or C etc. Do I qualify for a shot at the speedboat?

Comment

Working...
                    X