• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you think of

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of

FROM BBC NEWS

Three UK residents held at Guantanamo Bay have been "severely tortured and suffered inhuman and degrading treatment", their lawyer said.
    The men have asked the High Court to force Foreign Secretary Jack Straw to press for their release.

Lawyer Timothy Otty told the court there was "compelling evidence" of abuse - a claim denied by the US.

The government says it cannot represent Bisher al-Rawi, Jamil el-Banna and Omar Deghayes as they are not UK citizens.

But it says it has conveyed concerns about the men to the US on a purely humanitarian basis.

The men are among at least five UK residents still thought to be held at the US-run camp in Cuba.

Are they poor hard-done-by wee lambs who the british government (yes the government whose troops they were fighting against) should be breaking their back to help?
    Or should they have been strung up long ago?
    Why not?

If they are not British citizens they should be asking their own government for consular help, surely?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
      Or should they have been strung up long ago?
      And let's not have trials or Geneva conventions or Red Cross visits or any of that crap!!! Kill anybody I don't like!!! Death to everybody!!!!

Geez, get a life.

Comment

Would be fine by me so long as interrogation techniques used at XRay (ie simulated drowning) are applied to senior Govt officials on a routine basis - note that for this there should be no need for obvious proof of their corruption, mere presense in the Govt should warrant such treatment for at least a few years after which they can be released without charge. I am sure xoggoth would second that.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Would be fine by me so long as interrogation techniques used at XRay (ie simulated drowning) are applied to senior Govt officials on a routine basis - note that for this there should be no need for obvious proof of their corruption, mere presense in the Govt should warrant such treatment for at least a few years after which they can be released without charge. I am sure xoggoth would second that.
          I'll second that!

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            And let's not have trials or Geneva conventions or Red Cross visits or any of that crap!!! Kill anybody I don't like!!! Death to everybody!!!!

Geez, get a life.
            The Geneva convention doesn't apply to fighters not in uniform - they're classed as spies or terrorists.

Comment

Geez get a life

Originally posted by expat

Geez, get a life.

Why were you quoting from the Quran to support your viewpoint?
              Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
                The Geneva convention doesn't apply to fighters not in uniform - they're classed as spies or terrorists.
                So, you think because Taliban does not have resources to order nice uniforms with insignia, it means that those who fight among their midsts are spies?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  So, you think because Taliban does not have resources to order nice uniforms with insignia, it means that those who fight among their midsts are spies?
                  I didn't say that, but that's the rules for the Geneva convention to apply. In other wars, such people would have been shot immediately.

I'm sure some kind of uniform would be much cheaper than their guns, but then they wouldn't be able to hide in civilian areas.

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
                    In other wars, such people would have been shot immediately.
                    They were plenty of things done in other wars that are no longer considered acceptable.

The Geneva convention states the following:

"2. Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions:

(a) That of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;
                    (b) That of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;
                    (c) That of carrying arms openly;
                    (d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war. "

A lot of prisoners in XRay were (allegedly) captured after direct fights like one in Tora Bora, hence clearly (a), (c) and (d) applied to then. The question is whether (b) applied - but I'd say when you have US marines on one side and anyone else on the other, then for the purposes of opening fire "fixed distinctive sign recognizable" is that NOT being one of the US ones.

Hence, it seems to me that Geneva convention fully applies to a number of XRay PoWs, who by the way should be send home since that war has been officially over for a very long time.

The issue however is not whether those guys are PoWs under Geneva convention or not - regardless of their legal status it seems to me that torture techniques and indefinite detention should not be used, especially since it clearly does not produce any positive results.

Comment

Working...
                    X