• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iraq war 1st courtmartial (?sp)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iraq war 1st courtmartial (?sp)

I heard on the radio this morning that Flt Lt Dr. someone , is going through the courtmartial process today for refusing to do a 2nd turn in Iraq after reading and concluding that the war was illegal.

I havn't seen it anywhere else though.

I'm sure he's done for plus several months in Colchester.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Originally posted by MrsGoof
    several months in Colchester.
    No-one deserves that, surely?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
      I heard on the radio this morning that Flt Lt Dr. someone , is going through the courtmartial process today for refusing to do a 2nd turn in Iraq after reading and concluding that the war was illegal.

I havn't seen it anywhere else though.

I'm sure he's done for plus several months in Colchester.
      I thought the "war" was finished and they were just assisting the Iraqi security forces now?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

The guys f*cked as he cant use the "war is illegal" arguement as his defense!

Lock the f*cker up then send him back to where he came from!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
          The guys f*cked as he cant use the "war is illegal" arguement as his defense!

Lock the f*cker up then send him back to where he came from!

Mailman
          Why can't he use the "this war is illegal" argument in his defence ?

A very large proportion of the UK population who would be inclined to agree with his postion.

Comment

He cant use that as his defence because the first hearing that sets the terms of references for the court martial said he cant.

Im inclined to agree with the courts position on this

Regards

Mailman

Comment

[QUOTE=eternalnomad]Why can't he use the "this war is illegal" argument in his defence ?[QUOTE]

Because if the court ruled in his favor then our Tone would be FUBAR and that is just not allowed
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Not true, the court would only be ruling on whether this guy was guilty of desertion...not whether the war was illegal.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                  Not true, the court would only be ruling on whether this guy was guilty of desertion...not whether the war was illegal.

Mailman
                  He would not be guilty of desertion as he never went anywhere. He would be guilty of refusing a direct order from his commanding officer. This is sometimes referred to as refusing to Soldier. If he had raised his views and taken the line of being a conscientious objector then he could not have been sent.
                  Veni, Vidi, Bibi

Comment

Originally posted by Commscnut
                    He would not be guilty of desertion as he never went anywhere. He would be guilty of refusing a direct order from his commanding officer. This is sometimes referred to as refusing to Soldier. If he had raised his views and taken the line of being a conscientious objector then he could not have been sent.

Ah yes, sorry. I used the wrong word and should have said "refusing to follow a legal order" and not "desertion".

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X