• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Footballer sues Twitter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footballer sues Twitter

The legal team behind this must be rubbing their hands. You'd think the individual in question would want to keep a low profile. His name is going to be splashed across every US newspaper later.

BBC News - Footballer takes proceedings against Twitter
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You'd think the individual in question would want to keep a low profile. His name is going to be splashed across every US newspaper later.
    It already is.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      It already is.
      The spanish press published his name last week sometime.

Have to say, it wasn't who I thought it would be.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        The legal team behind this must be rubbing their hands. You'd think the individual in question would want to keep a low profile. His name is going to be splashed across every US newspaper later
        WHS

Is he bonkers. There's no effing chance he can win in the US. All he will do is bring more attention to himself.

In the case of the US, said Mr Lockett, the situation was complicated by the Communications Decency Act which grants immunity from prosecution for providers of "interactive computer services" under certain circumstances.

Lawyers acting for CTB may struggle to prove that Twitter does not deserve this immunity, said Mr Lockett.
        Understatement of the year. He's got more chance scoring a hat-trick, blindfolded & bound (though not 'gagged' of course) than he has of winning against Twitter.

And even if, by some miracle, he does get twitter to reveal the idenity of the persons - odds are it will be a relative nobody. What's he going to do - sue them for damages, take the 20K they have in equity in their house, get them thrown in prison - all for speaking the truth - it'll be a PR disaster.

Comment

The guy is an idiot.

He's obviously not heard there is no such thing as bad publicity.

If he had his name all over the News of the Screws he could have hired a PR guru like Max Clifford to use the allegations to his earning advantage.

Now he's just wasting money making lawyers rich.

A lot of people weren't interested until they heard super injunction.................
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Precisely - the argument was no doubt that he wanted privacy for his family.

Well his entire family knows about it - as well as all their immediate friends. In fact everyone that knows him and his family personally obviously knows it's him.

So if everyone that matters to him already knows, there is no privacy anyway. Might as well just let it all out and get it over with, rather than a constant drip feed that will drag on for months/years.

I think that was the reason Andrew Marr came clean. Everyone he knew personally and professionally knew all about his injunction anyway, so what was the point in it.

If this isn't resolved, I bet that next season, away fans will be chanting "Big Brother", or something like that, whenever he gets the ball.

Comment

Fans will be working on songs already. How do you injunct 20000 away fans singing?

Comment

And how could the media report such things if they flare up.

"There was some commotion at a match at the weekend, but we can't tell you which match, or the nature of the commotion because it would narrow down the list of suspects for a super injunction down to 11 people.

60,000 people saw it, plus all those watching it live on TV, but we can't tell you about it

The FA will be taking action, but they can't do it publicly for the same reasons. Any points deductions will be in secret. If those point deductions result in relegation, the team that replaces them will have to change their name/colours so that nobody notices"

Comment

I get the feeling he hasn't thought this through.

I also get the feeling his legal team have. Kerching, leeching (interesting predictive text replacement there), leeching! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    It already is.
                    Yup. 89 seconds of googling it took me.

Yawn. WTF cares?

The more of this non-news I see the more I think it's just a meedja circus to spin more newspaper sales.

Comment

Working...
                    X