• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oncall support

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oncall support

I have just been asked to provide some 24*7 on-call support for the next couple of months (very unusual for me in my line of work but its down to the Indians not been "quite ready" )

My contract is a "consulting only" contract - i.e. "professional days" and no provision for any form of on-call type arrangements

Anyway - for those that do, or have provided such a service can I ask what sort of arrangements you have managed to blag ?

I am thinking of a "x% of normal weekly rate just for providing facility" plus "y% of current hourly rate for each hour actual time working on out of hours problems or part thereof"

Where x=125%
    and
    Y=125%

Does this sound the correct side of "taking the p155" (i.e. I want the client to know this is costing them for failing to have the injuns ready)

Originally posted by eternalnomad
    I have just been asked to provide some 24*7 on-call support for the next couple of months (very unusual for me in my line of work but its down to the Indians not been "quite ready" )

My contract is a "consulting only" contract - i.e. "professional days" and no provision for any form of on-call type arrangements

Anyway - for those that do, or have provided such a service can I ask what sort of arrangements you have managed to blag ?

I am thinking of a "x% of normal weekly rate just for providing facility" plus "y% of current hourly rate for each hour actual time working on out of hours problems or part thereof"

Where x=125%
    and
    Y=125%

Does this sound the correct side of "taking the p155" (i.e. I want the client to know this is costing them for failing to have the injuns ready)

The BOFH in me says time and a half for hours on call and double time for actual call out with a 4 hour minimum
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

For taking p155 this looks quite good except:

I would up the hourly rate maybe 2 * hourly rate for any part of hour.

You'll also need to add a response time something like within 2 hours to respond to call that is via pager. Phones mean you are contactalbe instantly and that can be a fecking nightmare.

THe best terms I had for being on-call where when my co (permie days) was taken over by compaq and then we earnt just over a weeks salary for for carring a pager, got 1 hour pay (upto 2 hours pay for wend / bank hol) for the pager going beep and then hourly rate (or 2*) for actually doing something.
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

thanks both of you - it appears my urine extraction was not quite strong enough but will be adjusted accordingly

its gonna cost them - time to fill me boots

Comment

Last contract I got paid an hour per day for being on call and for every call recieved a min 1 hour charged (Most calls over in a few mins), and then on an hour per hour basis.

It sucked if you ask me - I'd go fer more, specially given if timezones are differemt and you're gonna get called at strange times.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

thanks both of you - it appears my urine extraction was not quite strong enough but will be adjusted accordingly

its gonna cost them - time to fill me boots
            I think you're right about a retainer for being on call + a rate for time. DaveB is also right, it is normal to have a formal minimum charge for being called (get it written). Depending on the case, I'd maybe start with a fee for taking a call (even if you resolve it in 2 mins over the phone), as well as a (say) min 4 hours if you have to go in. And (again depending on the case) maybe a plan for long late call-outs. If you're out for 4 hours in the middle of the night, you wouldn't want to come in 4 hours late in the morning and pretty much be back at square one just because you needed some sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              I think you're right about a retainer for being on call + a rate for time. DaveB is also right, it is normal to have a formal minimum charge for being called (get it written). Depending on the case, I'd maybe start with a fee for taking a call (even if you resolve it in 2 mins over the phone), as well as a (say) min 4 hours if you have to go in. And (again depending on the case) maybe a plan for long late call-outs. If you're out for 4 hours in the middle of the night, you wouldn't want to come in 4 hours late in the morning and pretty much be back at square one just because you needed some sleep.
              With the minimum call out period the clock starts the second they actually call you, regardless of how long it takes to resolve and whether you actually have to show your face on site to fix it or not. It also inludes your travelling time if you need to get to site.

Your 4 hour minumim is effectivly your fee for taking the call. It's then in yours and the customers best interest to fix it within the 4 hour period as that maximises your rate and minimises their downtime.

It means the customer then has a fixed call out fee that in most cases would provide enough time for a fix. If it takes more than 4 hours to put right they probably have bigger things to worry about than how much you are going to charge them at the end of the day.

It's also a deterrant to the help desk, or whoever, calling you over trivial issues that you can fix in a 5 min phone call and that could have waited till the next working day.

From your point of view the time and a half on call fee is your banker, the actuall call out is a bonus if it happens and is a quick fix, otherwise you are being well compensated for the hassle if it's a real call.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                Your 4 hour minumim is effectively your fee for taking the call. It's then in yours and the customers best interest to fix it within the 4 hour period as that maximises your rate and minimises their downtime.
                It's also a deterrent to the help desk, or whoever, calling you over trivial issues that you can fix in a 5 min phone call and that could have waited till the next working day.
                2 vg points there.

I suppose I meant charge less that 4 hours callout money, but greater than zero, if you get called but fix it quickly on the phone. But I prefer your idea: deter frivolous calls. And anyway the client is paying in the first instance for a fix, not for your time. You're being paid in the first instance for the inconvenience, not for your time. Five-minute calls at 5 a.m. should definitely cost more than 5 mins fee!

Comment

I have just been asked to provide some 24*7 on-call support for the next couple of months
                  One thing that would affect my perception of it would be the question, is it really 24*7? I.e. you must never ever get so drunk that you can't do the job; and you must never go away.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    One thing that would affect my perception of it would be the question, is it really 24*7? I.e. you must never ever get so drunk that you can't do the job; and you must never go away.

Yes it will be true 24*7 cover with the following caveats:-

I will be sharing the cover with a permie colleague on a weekly rotation so I can only get pissed 2 weeks out of 4

There is an element of "best endeavours" as I cannot be expected to site by a VPN connected PC 100% of my life.

In theory the helpdesk and 1st & 2nd line support are assumed to solve 75% of calls (yeah right !)

Its probably only going to last until the injuns are up to speed (so by my thinking this means 2019) or 16th June 2006 when my current contract ends and I am unlikely to renew as its way too boring a role for my tastes

Comment

Working...
                    X