• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish newspaper identifies injunction footballer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish newspaper identifies injunction footballer

Paper publishes 'censored' picture on front page, and attorney general reportedly looking into separate journalist's tweets
    Scottish newspaper identifies injunction footballer | Media | guardian.co.uk

In its editorial column, the newspaper wrote: "Today we identify the footballer whose name has been linked to a court superinjunction by thousands of postings on Twitter. Why? Because we believe it is unsustainable that the law can be used to prevent newspapers from publishing information that readers can access on the internet at the click of a mouse.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 22 May 2011, 12:37.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Just one word of advice.

Don't go looking for images of that bird, because that's how I got a MacAttack™ delivered
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

It's about time some proper human rights like freedom of speech and firearms for self defense were in written law that is above anything else: the Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        It's about time some proper human rights like freedom of speech and firearms for self defense were in written law that is above anything else: the Constitution.
        When are you going to emigrate to the USA? It's where you want to be.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          When are you going to emigrate to the USA? It's where you want to be.
          I don't want to get shot when posting my views on all sort of things

Comment

I don't want to get shot when posting my views on all sort of things
            The US doesn't really have free speech - merely they think they do - and tell everyone they do.

There is no such thing as free speech anywhere - everything we say carries a cost - just that most of the time, that cost is relatively cheap.

If you're working for a big company in New York and you have a conversation with a lovely young lady and you say "Fantastic pair of tits you have there - I'd just love to get my hands on them". Do you really think there will be no price to pay for expressing your views in that scenario?

That said, the price of speech does seem to have risen sharply here - along with everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              The US doesn't really have free speech - merely they think they do - and tell everyone they do.
              That's boll0x - they have free speech enshrined in constitution and also guns in hands of people to defend their rights.

> "Fantastic pair of tits you have there - I'd just love to get my hands on them"

You'll probably get a slap, in any case free speech does not refer to cases like this.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                If you're working for a big company in New York and you have a conversation with a lovely young lady and you say "Fantastic pair of tits you have there - I'd just love to get my hands on them". Do you really think there will be no price to pay for expressing your views in that scenario?
                Works for me in Bolton....

Comment

That's boll0x - they have free speech enshrined in constitution and also guns in hands of people to defend their rights.

> "Fantastic pair of tits you have there - I'd just love to get my hands on them"

You'll probably get a slap, in any case free speech does not refer to cases like this.
                  Carter Book on Israel 'Apartheid' Sparks Bitter Debate - washingtonpost.com
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    After 500 years we still live in feudal society, the only differences being we have wide-screen TVs and don’t realise we are surfs.
                    Surfs? Did you mean Smurfs?
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X