• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance required - recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance required - recommendations?

OK. Starting contract on Tuesday and noticed the contract mentions Employers liability insurance, public liabilty insurance, professional indemnity insurance.

Guess I need to sort this out. Is it absolutely imperative that I do this BEFORE tuesday or can it wait a few days?

Also, any recommendations?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OK. Starting contract on Tuesday and noticed the contract mentions Employers liability insurance, public liabilty insurance, professional indemnity insurance.

Guess I need to sort this out. Is it absolutely imperative that I do this BEFORE tuesday or can it wait a few days?

Also, any recommendations?
    I see public liability only concerns dealings with the public. Does that mean I can do without it? Or does the fact that its in the contract mean I have no choice?

Comment

I see public liability only concerns dealings with the public. Does that mean I can do without it? Or does the fact that its in the contract mean I have no choice?
      If it's a contract requirement and you don't take it out then you've breached the contract and the agent would be entitled to terminate immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        If it's a contract requirement and you don't take it out then you've breached the contract and the agent would be entitled to terminate immediately.
        Ohhh. Better sort it out asap then.

Comment

Ohhh. Better sort it out asap then.
          You really need to up your game a little. All the questions you ask just need either a bit of common sense or some very simple research. I mean, asking if you can wait until after you start to get something that is required to start.

If you are going to take out insurance that is required why not read up on it a little as well.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Incidentally, some bundled-in insurance deals with memberships are also not worth as much as they appear; you may want to research "aggregate" policies and decide whether they are worth the paper they're printed on should half a dozen other people get a claim in before you do.

You may also decide to do what many others do and think "Sod it, nobody ever claims on PI anyway" and keep your fingers crossed.

Also, have a word with the agency: some actually provide some insurance cover for you.

As for the Employer's Liability ... if they're asking for that from a LtdCo contractor it's because they don't know what they're talking about. Which employee is it you - as a director - are supposed to be insuring yourself against claims from? The 2005 revision the the Whatever It Was Insurance Act says you don't need it. But then the insurance companies sell it to you as part of their IR35 FUD ("you really ought to buy this worthless employee protection product to pretend you are not an employee").
            Last edited by RichardCranium; 22 May 2011, 15:19.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You really need to up your game a little. All the questions you ask just need either a bit of common sense or some very simple research. I mean, asking if you can wait until after you start to get something that is required to start.

If you are going to take out insurance that is required why not read up on it a little as well.
              Yeh. I have done some research. I just wanted some opinions thats all.

Everything is happening so quickly, starting contract on tuesday that its difficult to find time to research everything as thoroughly as I'd like.

Comment

I get mine from here - Business Insurance - Indemnity & Liability Insurance | Hiscox UK

I've had to produce the certs for one gig only. Others mention it in the contract but never ask for proof.

Auto renews every year and the price hasn't gone up in four years. It was the cheapest I could find at the time.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                  I get mine from here - Business Insurance - Indemnity & Liability Insurance | Hiscox UK

I've had to produce the certs for one gig only. Others mention it in the contract but never ask for proof.

Auto renews every year and the price hasn't gone up in four years. It was the cheapest I could find at the time.

HTH
                  Thanks. I'll look at that.

Best I've found so far seems to be with Qdos - £240 a year for all three types of insurance....

Dont think I want to go down the route of not bothering in case I get asked. Better to get I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    They aren't going to do that, they'd stop making money!
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X