• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance Question

I have just started my first week at a new perm role at an It company that is providing IT support to small business.

Before I accepted the offer from the agency I asked them to find out about insurance for the role.
    As the role involves travelling to there customers sites alot of the time using my own car and to occasional carry printers and stock in my car.

The agency told me that the insurance was currently in the name of the engineer who I would be replacing and would be swapped over once he leaves.

Tomorrow morning I have to go to one of their customers and carry a large printer in the back of my car. I should have asked my manager on Friday if the insurance policy had been swapped over.

I have just phoned him and he said that I would have to pay to put it on my own insurance policy and that it costs about £15 to £20.

I don't feel happy that either the agency or he was lying about the company insurance policy.
    I dont want to put it on my insurance policy as I dont think I should have to.

For exmaple if my car gets broken into its going to effect my premiums not his.
    Also I currently have a limited company setup and my car insurance is setup for that company not his.

He has also not given much details because im sure it only cost about £15 to 20 to add business travel to a policy but that does not cover goods in transit.

Just wondered what your thoughts are

Bollocks to their printer being nicked.

If, while using the car on company business, a child runs out in the road in front of you, you will be all over the local papers as an uninsured child-killer.

Do you need to know anything else to help you make a decision?

If you are a permie using a vehicle for company business, they should be insuring you or you refuse to drive. End of. They cannot make you break the law and drive uninsured unless you let them.

If you are a contractor, then the insurance is for you to sort out.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by slinkydonkey View Post
      I have just phoned him and he said that I would have to pay to put it on my own insurance policy and that it costs about £15 to £20.
      Often, the normal SDP+commuting insurance will cover you for business use if the employer is paying you a mileage allowance. Have you checked your insurance policy? When I insure, I normally tick the "business use" box anyway because it doesn't cost anything extra.

But really, you're quibbling over £20? Get over it and get on with your job.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        Often, the normal SDP+commuting insurance will cover you for business use if the employer is paying you a mileage allowance. Have you checked your insurance policy? When I insure, I normally tick the "business use" box anyway because it doesn't cost anything extra.

But really, you're quibbling over £20? Get over it and get on with your job.
        SDP and commuting definitely won't cover carrying customer or employer goods, I'm pretty sure class 1 business cover won't either. If in a crash with either of those insurances and found to be carrying goods then the insurer will tell you to get stuffed as they've not insured based on that risk.

I'm a bit confused what insurance Slinkydonkey is expecting to be transferred, if the previous engineer had a company car then the insurance for that will still be required and if he drove his own then he will have his own business class cover on that car. The only thing the employer can do is pay for the premium to upgrade Slinkydonkey's insurance.

Comment

To make it clear I do currently have insurance on my car infact I have a business insurance but its for my own business.

I will phone my insurance company tomorrow morning to discuss with them.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
          X