• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy Agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy Agents

of the Estate variety, I mean.

Anyone see Whistleblowers last night about the sleazy and often illegal practices of Estate agents? Seems they forge papers, lie to landlords, tenants, vendors, buyers and even surveyors to secure that deal and meet their targets. Frankly, it scares me to think how low people will stoop to make a quid. Perhaps it should be made illegal for employers to hire people on commission related jobs and instead make them all salaried. The commission structure seems to lie at the heart of the problem, it seems to me.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Originally posted by Denny
    made illegal
    What this country needs is more laws, lots of them for anything anyone can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
      of the Estate variety, I mean.

Anyone see Whistleblowers last night about the sleazy and often illegal practices of Estate agents? Seems they forge papers, lie to landlords, tenants, vendors, buyers and even surveyors to secure that deal and meet their targets. Frankly, it scares me to think how low people will stoop to make a quid. Perhaps it should be made illegal for employers to hire people on commission related jobs and instead make them all salaried. The commission structure seems to lie at the heart of the problem, it seems to me.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

If that's their business model then that's their business. If people want to be salaried for £10,000pa that's their decision. If they want to sell their labour to aid the acculumlation of assets for someone else that's their decision.

By having everyone salaried you remove the incentive. Personally I believe that in certain sectors different forms of incorporation might be more suitable. Co-ops are good example of retaining a moderate incentive and providing a good range of non-financial benefits for staff e.g. John Lews/Waitrose.

Comment

Co-ops

Co-ops sound like such an old fashioned ideal....however I rather like the values they uphold.
        John Lewis is a great example, and their staff are always attentive.
        So do we all band together and form a Co-op agency?!
        Interesting idea.

Comment

Speaking about helpful staff, Ive always found the people who work at ASDA very helpful. Probably helps that ASDA is always in the top ranks of those "Top 100 Employer" surveys. Talk about a hard job to keep your staff happy when you are paying bugger all!

Mailman

Comment

Working...
          X