• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract in UK in Euros?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract in UK in Euros?

Seen a few of these where UK agency quotes the rate in Euros.

In this case, would you normally invoice in Euros or convert to pounds at the official rate? Would you then get paid in Euros or would the agency convert to pounds?

Just wondering about commision costs if you were paid Euros into a UK Sterling bank?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Seen a few of these where UK agency quotes the rate in Euros.
    In this case, would you normally invoice in Euros or convert to pounds at the official rate? Would you then get paid in Euros or would the agency convert to pounds?
    Just wondering about commision costs if you were paid Euros into a UK Sterling bank?
    You can get a Euro denominated bank account (which may make accounting easier) or you could get linked Euro/Sterling/Dollar accounts from the likes of Cater Allen. I'm sure most other banks do them as well.

You need to be very careful of the foreign exchange fees and charges though, some of them will try to rob you blind. 1% above the interbank rate is the absolute maximum you should be paying to convert the money.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I have applied for a couple of UK based roles with an advertised rate in €uros. One was, I think, through a TechMahindra subsidiary or partner, nd the other was another Bob agency.

Both turned out to be in £s, it's just that the agency thought Britain = Europe = Euros.
      Last edited by RichardCranium; 22 May 2011, 22:24. Reason: Failure to be clever entering a € symbol.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

If you can get a € denominated bank account then you can transfer the money between that and a sterling account fairly cheaply via a service like UK Forex Money Transfer | Rates, Tools, Charts, Currency Converter

Another thing to bear in mind is the accounting and taxation side. Some accountants will have little clue about how to handle it and you might find that a lot of forms e.g. UK VAT returns have to be filled in in Sterling even when invoices (and hence VAT amounts) are in €.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
        X