• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I the only one who thinks this is going to end in tears?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one who thinks this is going to end in tears?

Website owners face tougher cookie rules CUK05 :: Contractor UK

I mean, I can see the point to some extent, but it seems to me the wider problem for privacy is the various systems that track your online usage by having their gubbins embedded all over the place. Are they saying that every site that embeds that sort of tracking has to gain explicit consent or is the case that if you say yes to a particular tracking network once you've said yes to them for every site that uses them? This would appear to indicate it's the latter:

(3) Where an electronic communications network is used by the same person to store or access information in the terminal equipment of a subscriber or user on more than one occasion, it is sufficient for the purposes of this regulation that the requirements of paragraph (2) are met in respect of the initial use.
    And this would appear to leave a lot of leeway for not having to obtain consent.

(4) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the technical storage of, or
    access to, information--
    (a) for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a
    communication over an electronic communications network; or
    (b) where such storage or access is strictly necessary for the
    provision of an information society service requested by the subscriber
    or user.
    Some interesting examples from the government

The only exception to this rule is if what you are doing is ‘strictly
    necessary’ for a service requested by the user. This exception is a
    narrow one but might apply, for example, to a cookie you use to
    ensure that when a user of your site has chosen the goods they
    wish to buy and clicks the ‘add to basket’ or ‘proceed to checkout’
    button, your site ‘remembers’ what they chose on a previous page.
    You would not need to get consent for this type of activity.
    But apparently

The exception would not apply, for example, just
    because you have decided that your website is more attractive if
    you remember users’ preferences
    despite the fact that a user would have to set the preferences, which rather makes the service requested, and subsequent identification of said user would be "strictly necessary" to provide it IMO.

It all seems like a bit of a waste of space to me. Does anyone have any clue what the actual intent of this is?

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisati...gulations.ashx
    Last edited by doodab; 23 May 2011, 15:21.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Does anyone have any clue what the actual intent of this is?
    Nobody does, not even the EU legislators who dreamt it up. It's a classic example of politicians enacting legislation covering technical issues they don't understand, because of a vague feeling that "something must be done".

Comment

This is one that raised my eyebrows immediately:

Following an update to the European directive on which those rules were based, the new requirement is, basically and due to privacy concerns; that cookies can only be placed on devices “where the user or subscriber has given their consent.”
      I log onto CUK from whichever real or virtual machine is easiest for me at the time, and tick "Remember password". It might even be different browsers on the same machine...

Is CUK now supposed to issue me with a warning whenever I log on via a new system? There's little doubt that the CUK admins could sort something out here, possibly with help from The Chimp, but how on earth are non-IT-savvy sites going to cope?

If we move on to typical-home-user-with-blog or any off the shelf web publishing system, can anyone really expect them to understand how cookies in their web software work? Many probably don't even realise they are there.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Think I mentioned this a few months back. Fortunately there appears to be an exception if you use strictly for necessary purposes of marketing and accounting.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

BBC News - Cookie law deferred for one year

Looks like it's stalling.

Interesting that it seems to be a battle between "online firms" and "privacy groups" and the people who actually use the internet aren't really well represented.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

See regulation of the internet is to be a major subject at G8 conference too. The Illuminati hate it.

BBC News - G8 summit: Arab uprisings set to dominate agenda

Better link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...74O72L20110525
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Is this a Trojan Horse by a splinter cell of sockies that have broken free to operate independently? It could be the opening salvo in a Matrix / Terminator type war.

Comment

Working...
              X