• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electromagnets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electromagnets

When doing your sums, remember it's 1.68 x 10 ^ -8. That factor of 100 million is quite important.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

kthxbai to borrow from my 18 year old nephew.

Newspeak is 2xgd

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
      kthxbai to borrow from my 18 year old nephew.

Newspeak is 2xgd
      Is he dyslexic? Or does he just have something stuck in his throat?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Is he dyslexic? Or does he just have something stuck in his throat?
        Worse than that, he's 18.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
          Worse than that, he's 18.
          Is that leet for "works at goldman sachs"?

Comment

I have to chuckle when I see that someone left me a -ve rep for my "pointless post" at 1am.

Go to bed you freak!

It's not pointless, the number up above is the resistivity of copper, an essential ingredient in calculating the current through your solenoid and the resulting heat emission. Leaving the aforementioned factor of 100 million out of your calculation causes you to overestimate the resistance of the coil and hence underestimate the current by a large factor. Which means it doesn't work quite as you expect.

If I can save one innocent battery from death it's worth it.
            Last edited by doodab; 24 May 2011, 06:10.

Comment

I have to chuckle when I see that someone left me a -ve rep for my "pointless post" at 1am.

Go to bed you freak!

It's not pointless, the number up above is the resistivity of copper, an essential ingredient in calculating the current through your solenoid and the resulting heat emission. Leaving the aforementioned factor of 100 million out of your calculation causes you to overestimate the resistance of the coil and hence underestimate the current by a large factor. Which means it doesn't work quite as you expect.

If I can save one innocent battery from death it's worth it.
              Do you factor in the increase in resistance as the temperature increases?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Do you factor in the increase in resistance as the temperature increases?
                I think it's safe to say my mathematical models are not that sophisticated

Comment

I think it's safe to say my mathematical models are not that sophisticated
                  What about thermal shock?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    What about thermal shock?

Calm down man, I've not even got the knack of ohms law yet!

Comment

Working...
                    X