• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chinese writing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese writing

I want to be honest about this. I dont like it. All that squiggly stuff on the menus and toothpaste tubes gets right up my nose.

Is there any chance, do you think, that The Chinese would ever adopt the English language, and our alphabet ? I mean, even the French are coming around slowly, that leader of the IMF was warned by the French media that he would have to become 'more anglo saxon', before his downfall

Will there ever be one international language ?

maybe there already is

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I want to be honest about this. I dont like it. All that squiggly stuff on the menus and toothpaste tubes gets right up my nose.

Is there any chance, do you think, that The Chinese would ever adopt the English language, and our alphabet ? I mean, even the French are coming around slowly, that leader of the IMF was warned by the French media that he would have to become 'more anglo saxon', before his downfall

Will there ever be one international language ?

maybe there already is

Yes. It's going to be Chinese. Get squiggling.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I think Zeity's working on it right now.

Comment

Except Chinese writing represents meanings, not sounds. So Cantonese and Mandarin speakers write the same characters, even though they speak different words. It's usefu to create a common written language across the country, which they would not have with a phonetic writing system.

Or so I understand it - might be completely wrong.

Comment

Esperanto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Job Done!
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Except Chinese writing represents meanings, not sounds. So Cantonese and Mandarin speakers write the same characters, even though they speak different words. It's usefu to create a common written language across the country, which they would not have with a phonetic writing system.

Or so I understand it - might be completely wrong.
            +1 However, I believe that Mandarin uses the simplified character set.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              +1 However, I believe that Mandarin uses the simplified character set.
              Is it more segmented?

Comment

Caveman

How about caveman? Very easy to learn.
                1. Grunt excessively. Cavemen and women lived in a time before modern and sophisticated communication and would express many emotions through single noises.
                2. Talk in a lower voice and only say parts of the words. This is more effective if you speak another Germanic language and weave in some of those words.
                3. Yell out to add anger to your tone.
                4. Use physical gestures to add emphasis, such as pounding your fists, or telling a lot of the story using hand motions.
                5. Repeat a noise and repeat it in the same situation, Cavemen might not have known English but they would have words for certain things like food and indivduals
                Churchill will be giving an advanced class later on today at TWO ug PM
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Is it more segmented?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                  X