• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Techie interviewers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Techie interviewers

Grr!
    So, tell us some of your main strengths relevant to this project
    Well, I've got good attention to detail, and keep my focus in a high pressure environment.
    Oh. So nothing about C# multithreading then?

This is only a small exaggeration.

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Grr!
    Well, I've got good attention to detail, and keep my focus in a high pressure environment.
    Oh. So nothing about C# multithreading then?

This is only a small exaggeration.
    It's difficult to comment out of context but I'll give it a shot...

Did you forget the bit where he said "relevant to this project"?

Nobody wants to hear from a potential recruit that they think they'll be able to handle it when the project starts to turn to ratsh!t.

Hth.

Comment

It is more how they have at some point been told to ask open questions instead of closed ones; yet they still expect closed answers. Like the chap who asked "how do you get data out of a database?" and let me waffle on for about 3 minutes before triumphantly revealing that the correct answer was SSRS.

but I think you are right about keeping schtum about risks. Paranoia and pessimism seem to be essential for getting an enterprise project to a successful completion, but do not help you get on one in the first place.

Comment

It is more how they have at some point been told to ask open questions instead of closed ones; yet they still expect closed answers. Like the chap who asked "how do you get data out of a database?" and let me waffle on for about 3 minutes before triumphantly revealing that the correct answer was SSRS.

but I think you are right about keeping schtum about risks. Paranoia and pessimism seem to be essential for getting an enterprise project to a successful completion, but do not help you get on one in the first place.
        He may just've been landed with the task of interviewing you and hadn't much experience.

Chalk it down to experience.

Btw, did you get the gig?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          He may just've been landed with the task of interviewing you and hadn't much experience.

Chalk it down to experience.

Btw, did you get the gig?
          Would he be complaining if he did?
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You never know...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Well, I would like to think I would; but in any event, I did not in either case.

I am just frustrated because I don't know how to get round the situation. Any attempts to introduce some relativity into the situation get shrugged off. Idead welcome.

Comment

Well, I would like to think I would; but in any event, I did not in either case.

I am just frustrated because I don't know how to get round the situation. Any attempts to introduce some relativity into the situation get shrugged off. Idead welcome.
                For future reference you could ask for specifics when you feel that the questions are too general.

"Do you have any specific areas in mind?" Could be a suitable response.

Oh well, chalk it down to experience.

Better luck next time.

Comment

Working...
                X