• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kitchen Equipment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchen Equipment

What do you use to keep your knives in good order?

I have one of those chef's choice electric jobs and it's OK but I recently got a half decent whetstone (250/1000 combination) and the difference is night and day.

Is it worth investing in a finer grade stone to get that little extra?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Diamond coated steel, it's not hard to learn how to use one.

A whetstone is fine for a regrind if the edge has badly gone, but anything harsher than a decent steel is excessive for keeping a decent edge on kitchen knives.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I find my victims make less noise if they don't feel it, depends on what you're after.

HTH
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

A stash of take-away menus and a microwave, beer bottles should be opened with the teeth to minimise useless items cluttering up the place
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          What do you use to keep your knives in good order?

I have one of those chef's choice electric jobs and it's OK but I recently got a half decent whetstone (250/1000 combination) and the difference is night and day.

It's funny, I was going to do a thread on this today.

Mrs EO was banging on about this new recipe she was going to try on saturday, sea bass in a bed of rice.

So comes Saturday evening, I am sitting there quietly sozzled, playing Colonization, when she shouts me from the kitchen.
          'Help, I cant get the 'eads of these'

There were two fresh fish, in full scale dress, with the heads and innards waiting to be done.

When I pointed out that we didnt have sharp enough knives, they needed de-scaling, heads off, gutting , washed out and checked for worm, she chucked them in the bin and asked me to make chips and egg instead.

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            A stash of take-away menus and a microwave, beer bottles should be opened with the teeth to minimise useless items cluttering up the place
            Cans are better in that respect
            Saves your teeth and there is no bottle top to dispose of.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I bow down to your superior knowledge
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

We use one of these.

Buy Shinkansen Sharpener online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis

Works a treat and much better than a steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Only if you're a lager drinker, ale taste tulip from cans.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Diamond coated steel, it's not hard to learn how to use one.

A whetstone is fine for a regrind if the edge has badly gone, but anything harsher than a decent steel is excessive for keeping a decent edge on kitchen knives.
                    The diamond steel I have is about 1200 grit IIRC, it's a good steel but it's not a sharpener. I'm talking about a bunch of 5-10 year old knives here so obviously they have needed properly resharpening in that time, which is why I bought the chef's choice thing. It's not something I use every day, probably every 6-9 months, and to be fair that does quite a good job. I just bought the whetstone cos I have a couple of knives here in DE that are about 2 years old and were starting to lose their edge to the point of being annoying, and I was surprised how easy it was to get the knack of and how sharp they came out. They really were as good as new, much better than using the chef's choice thing.

I am thinking that a 3000/8000 finishing stone would give me that extra bit of va va voom.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X