• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making an A-Frame for my tomatoes, grumpy old man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making an A-Frame for my tomatoes, grumpy old man

This was my plan. A nice project to fulfil my evening, while supping a pint of bombadier. Timber purchased, along with hinges, nuts and bolts.

I started last night, at 7:30pm so the kids would be in bed and wouldn't get under my feet. Except next door's kids were still up.

3 noses over fence "What ya doing suity?"

"I'm building an a-frame for my tomatoes"

"What's an a-frame"

Mutters then explains.

Rinse and repeat 3 times (5 mins in between)

Then the youngest one starts this ear piercing screech as he's not getting his way. My brain freezes during a trig calculation trying to work an angle out.

I pack away thinking next doors kids must be feral.

So today I start at 4:30pm thinking my kids would keep their kids entertained and off my back. It worked like a charm.

Instead their dad starts asking what I am doing. And then making comments like, "you can get them at the garden centre you know", "how much did this project cost?"

It went on. More chiding. I am now simmering.

His wife comes home, and says "you alright suity?"

Mutters something polite (ish).

Then SY02 says "you're being a bit grumpy"

Then the other next door neighbour comes out and asks "oooh what ya building?"

20 mins of listening to an update on his OU course.

Then, ........

They all fooked off, and 20 mins of silence later I had finished the thing.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

A fascinating insight into how dull poor people living in feral housing estates live. Many thanks, saves me reading about poverty and dullness in deprived parts of the UK in next months National Geographic.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      This was my plan. A nice project to fulfil my evening, while supping a pint of bombadier. Timber purchased, along with hinges, nuts and bolts.

I started last night, at 7:30pm so the kids would be in bed and wouldn't get under my feet. Except next door's kids were still up.

"I'm building an a-frame for my tomatoes"

"What's an a-frame"

Mutters then explains.

Rinse and repeat 3 times (5 mins in between)

Then the youngest one starts this ear piercing screech as he's not getting his way. My brain freezes during a trig calculation trying to work an angle out.

I pack away thinking next doors kids must be feral.

So today I start at 4:30pm thinking my kids would keep their kids entertained and off my back. It worked like a charm.

Instead their dad starts asking what I am doing. And then making comments like, "you can get them at the garden centre you know", "how much did this project cost?"

It went on. More chiding. I am now simmering.

His wife comes home, and says "you alright suity?"

Mutters something polite (ish).

Then SY02 says "you're being a bit grumpy"

Then the other next door neighbour comes out and asks "oooh what ya building?"

20 mins of listening to an update on his OU course.

Then, ........

They all fooked off, and 20 mins of silence later I had finished the thing.

Tell them to feck off and mind ther own business
      Me, me, me...

Comment

3 bamboo canes, bunged in the ground, pointing toward one another and meeting 6" from the top, bit of gardening twine, done.

Last edited by RichardCranium; 27 May 2011, 15:02.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Just aksed the missus

Waitrose sell tomatoes.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Timber? Feckin TIMBER? Wotcha building? A wigwam for the tribal chief?

3 bamboo canes, bunged in the ground, pointing toward one another and meeting 6" from the top, bit of gardening twine, done.
            WHS.

Are you secretly aiming for a shed?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Timber? Feckin TIMBER? Wotcha building? A wigwam for the tribal chief?

WHS although he's still a tosspot
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Get yerself a 10 foot high evergreen hedge like round the back of Moorfield Towers. Sorted.

Getting a new 2m high gate put in at the front next week. Might even put a "Chavs Keep Out" sign on it.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                  Might even put a "Chavs Keep Out" sign on it.
                  That would just encourage the tulips
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

The question is?

Is Suityou the William Hogarth of the modern day? I mean, long rambling posts about his family, A-Frames, feral children, alcohol.

Is a Suityou thread a 'New Gin Lane'

Discuss in no more than five words.

50 Points Available.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X