• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors Getting Investigated By HMRC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors Getting Investigated By HMRC?

Anyone got any experience of this?

What chance is there of getting a pull if you work with an umbrella company?
    Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Originally posted by dspsyssts View Post

Why would you? You shouldn't even be on HMRCs radar. The umbrella will deduct Tax, Employee and Employer NI. Keep your payslips and you'll be ok even if the umbrella goes belly up. Which happened to me when I used an umbrella set up by a bloke called Solomon Williams, a bloke who used to tell everyone he was a chartered accountant, it turns out that at the time he wasn't! <---- Fact, take me to court if you want Solomon, I'd just love to meet you.

If you get pulled at all it will be because you've been fraudulent with your expenses.

Comment

Provided that you have receipts for all those expenses that you have claimed then you don't have anything to worry about if you work through an Umbrella.

You do have all those receipts don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

If you get pulled at all it will be because you've been fraudulent with your expenses.
        It was along the lines of what chance you being investigated to validate the authenticity of your expenses.

Wonder how many people have had to experince this or is it so rare it hardly ever happens?

Comment

It was along the lines of what chance you being investigated to validate the authenticity of your expenses.

Wonder how many people have had to experince this or is it so rare it hardly ever happens?
          Why not ask the umbrella company directly?

Comment

Im interested in other contractors experiences.

Comment

TBH, it sounds like the question you're really asking is:

I want to claim for expenses I've not really incurred. What are the chances I'll get away with it?

Personally for the extra couple of quid you're probably claiming, I wouldn't do it. I like to sleep at night. If you want more money legally, set up a Ltd.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Im interested in other contractors experiences.
                Those of them who had new girlfriend named Bubba are no long as talkative as they used to be.

HTH

Comment

Enough of the conspiracy theories already!

Im just asking if any other contractors using an umbrella company have any experience of bing investigated over their expenses.

Comment

Enough of the conspiracy theories already!

Im just asking if any other contractors using an umbrella company have any experience of bing investigated over their expenses.
                    Why?

Comment

Working...
                    X