• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rep: a scientific approach

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rep: a scientific approach

Using data for people who have repped me, and estimating their rep points by fitting a power law* through my own rep score and rank (several data points available there) the formula** I have come up with is:

amount of rep points you can give = 1 + (number of days since you joined/365) + (number of posts/1000) + (current rep score/100)

* google "scale free networks" if you want to know why I think this is a reasonable assumption.

** this corresponds exactly to the vbulletin default settings AFAIK
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Using data for people who have repped me, and estimating their rep points by fitting a power law* through my own rep score and rank (several data points available there) the formula** I have come up with is:

amount of rep points you can give = 1 + (number of days since you joined/365) + (number of posts/1000) + (current rep score/100)

* google "scale free networks" if you want to know why I think this is a reasonable assumption.

** this corresponds exactly to the vbulletin default settings AFAIK
    That is truly, truly sad but does seem to explain why Russell's rep attempts ended up as worthless grey comments.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think the amount of rep given should be deducted from rep available.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        That would make it a zero sum game.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I wouldn't give you the steam off my piss.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            That would make it a zero sum game.

Comment

Working...
            X