• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britannia waives the rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britannia waives the rules

Well, that's that inconvenient, old-fashioned parliament thing done away with then...

(1) A Minister of the Crown may by order make provision for either or both of the following purposes—

(a) reforming legislation;

(b) implementing recommendations of any one or more of the United Kingdom Law Commissions, with or without changes.
    http://www.publications.parliament.u...06111.1-4.html

I think we're all fecked - to put it mildly.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

This is truly frightening .

I just hope we never get a nutter in place willing to use it in the manner that is so obvious.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
      We have the nutter already. He's probably too busy smoking crack at the moment.
      True.

Thing is though, I can't believe how little media coverage this is getting considering it's probably the biggest insult to parliamentary democracy ever.

John Humphrys mentioned it in passing on the Today program a few weeks ago, but essentially there has been bugger all coverage.

This bill will allow any goverment minister to ride roughshod over any existing legislation and 'interpret' any findings of the law commissions to suit their own ends.

What price democracy?

p.s. love that flaming chimp avatar
      Last edited by bogeyman; 23 March 2006, 12:06. Reason: p.s.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
        True.

Thing is though, I can't believe how little media coverage this is getting considering it's probably the biggest insult to parliamentary democracy ever.

John Humphrys mentioned it in passing on the Today program a few weeks ago, but essentially there has been bugger all coverage.

This bill will allow any goverment minister to ride roughshod over any existing legislation and 'interpret' any findings of the law commissions to suit their own ends.

What price democracy?

Is it surprising given the way that New Lier run rings around the media. If some of them learnt to do research and dig deep ....

Comment

It looks very much like Blair, the nutter who's too busy smoking crack at the moment.

Comment

True.

What price democracy?

You wish.

It also allows changes to common law, Magna Carta, and Habeus Corpus. the bedrock of our constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
              You wish.

It also allows changes to common law, Magna Carta, and Habeus Corpus. the bedrock of our constitution.
              How long before they 'defer' general elections due to the 'war on terrorism'?

Comment

So who is giving odds on the first use of this?

ID cards?
                90 day detention of terrorist suspects?

What do you think?
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

reintroduction of the Death penalty followed by some changes to the penalties associated with IR35

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    So who is giving odds on the first use of this?

ID cards?
                    90 day detention of terrorist suspects?

What do you think?
                    I think everone should be declared a potential terrorist suspect - it's only fair.

Comment

Working...
                    X