• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The new guy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new guy

So you've just started your new contract, and you notice this strange but familiar feeling around you.....

Maybe you get cut some slack for not knowing who's who yet, or the processes you need to follow to get things done....
    Or maybe you're having a ball showing off your experience, impressing those who haven't worked you out yet. They're being extra polite, helpful or professional towards you rather than thinking you're a
    Perhaps 'lifer' permies or the other contractors look down on you because you don't yet know the clientco's business or the epic project or system you're working on (that'll soon change )
    Or perhaps people notice how surprised you look when they test the fire alarm, whilst everyone else stares blindly at their computer screen....

...you're a fresh face, new blood, fair game, fresh meat to the grinder...

Whatever it is, people regard you as 'the new guy'

How long do you find it takes to shake off the 'new guy' image, and to become part of the furniture?

This is a record for me.. almost 6 months in and I 'think' I've just about shaken it
    I've had shorter contracts....

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    So you've just started your new contract, and you notice this strange but familiar feeling around you.....

Maybe you get cut some slack for not knowing who's who yet, or the processes you need to follow to get things done....
    Or maybe you're having a ball showing off your experience, impressing those who haven't worked you out yet. They're being extra polite, helpful or professional towards you rather than thinking you're a
    Perhaps 'lifer' permies or the other contractors look down on you because you don't yet know the clientco's business or the epic project or system you're working on (that'll soon change )
    Or perhaps people notice how surprised you look when they test the fire alarm, whilst everyone else stares blindly at their computer screen....

How long do you find it takes to shake off the 'new guy' image, and to become part of the furniture?

This is a record for me.. almost 6 months in and I 'think' I've just about shaken it
    In any new job permie or contractor I always come in fully focused on the task in hand and do anything to get it done.
    And since I'm economically secure I don't give a tulip what anyone thinks of me or what the hierarchy is.
    Since few people can match my focus, will and talent, not to mention my ability not to give a tulip, the "new boy" feeling doesn't last very long and I'm soon dominating the place.

HTH
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

6 months???? I usually get to know everyone in a few weeks and after the first month I am having beers with them. Maybe you are socially awkward?

Comment

Used to take me longer, quicker these days because it doesn't take me as long to identify the problems that require focus, and I therefore get involved more quickly.

I also try to identify someone I can have a bit of banter with.

Edit: I never want to be seen as 'part of the furniture' !!!
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
          6 months???? I usually get to know everyone in a few weeks and after the first month I am having beers with them. Maybe you are socially awkward?
          Ah. You're THAT guy.

Forcing yourself on new work mates is never good.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

The best contracts Ive had is when you start at the same time as a bunch of other contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              Forcing yourself on new work mates is never good.
              Better to wait for them to throw themselves at you, eh?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Better to wait for them to throw themselves at you, eh?
                No need for sarcasm sir.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

On average, about a week. I had one contract where I was invited to the pub on the first day. I liked that one
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

very rare that I try to integrate into team, and even rarer that I try to get too personal, except for a bit of office banter. But I have made a couple of friendships that have lasted over ten years. Becoming part of the furniture ? <shudder>

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X