• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forced to renew

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced to renew

I made a verbal agreement to renew my contract for 3 months (approx 3 weeks ago). I did not receive any concrete offer in writing so started to look elsewhere and secured a contract elsewhere 2 days ago. Now my current client says the verbal contract is binding for a renewal and I have to renew legally, even though I have signed nothing. The other client can't wait 4 weeks for me to do my notice period and I have lost that contract.
    Was there anything I could do in this situation?

You could ask him to show you your agreement to renew?

Originally posted by et95
    I made a verbal agreement to renew my contract for 3 months (approx 3 weeks ago). I did not receive any concrete offer in writing so started to look elsewhere and secured a contract elsewhere 2 days ago. Now my current client says the verbal contract is binding for a renewal and I have to renew legally, even though I have signed nothing. The other client can't wait 4 weeks for me to do my notice period and I have lost that contract.
    Possibly.
    Why not?

Comment

Unless you are willing to deny making a verbal contract then there isn't much you can do. A contract validity is not diminished by virtue of the fact it is merely 'verbal' (there are some exceptions e.g. Consumer Credit Act/ cooling off period).

Comment

Tell em to feck off.

If they want to get all arsy thats their business

Mailman

Comment

Did you make the verbal agreement with the client or the agent?

Comment

Help, urgent medical attention required

Originally posted by Mailman
            Tell em to feck off.

If they want to get all arsy thats their business

Mailman
            I agree with mailman!!!!!
            Why not?

Comment

I find it amazing that so many so called contractors have no idea on how to manage a business, build relationships, communicate, make decisions, think ahead, plan, obtain advice, or read contracts.

Incredible......

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                I find it amazing that so many so called contractors have no idea on how to manage a business, build relationships, communicate, make decisions, think ahead, plan, obtain advice, or read contracts.

Incredible......
                From your statements I would conclude that you should change your name to

Not DimPrawn as you speak sense

Comment

Yes - next time when you renew verbally state

"I'm happy to renew subject to satisfactory contracts being signed by both parties before the expiry of the original. In the time between now and signing the contract I reserve the right to contract my services to another party, therefore the sooner we can tie this up the sooner I can guarantee my availability to you"

The only reason you didn't get the paperwork sooner was they were stringing it out to see if they still needed you!!!

Comment

Why didn't you chase them up for the written contract renewal? As an independant contractor its more in your interests than theirs to get it in writing at the earliest opportunity.

If they had been dragging their heels over getting the contract to you depsite your repeated requests then at least you could now say that you did what you could to protect your own interests and now you're having to go elsewhere because of their lack of compliance.

By not saying anything they are left to assume that the verbal contract is still standing and that the paper work will be done when its convenient to both parties.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X