• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning to Scuba Dive (as a beginner)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning to Scuba Dive (as a beginner)

I'm contemplating learning to dive as I'm taking some time off at the moment and diving has always appealed to me.
    Quite a few posters are experienced divers so can hopefully offer advice as to where's the best location to learn. I don't mind flying, but I'd rather avoid a full day in the air at each end of the trip.

Location with decent facilities and pretty undersea sights?
    Is it advisable to do some basic training in the UK first?
    Any prep worth doing in advance?

Sports Diver with BSAC. Most of the training being done at an excruciatingly slow pace in the local swimming baths with a bunch of nutters who could hardly swim, which I have a impression the sport attracts.

I also scuba dived off the Australian barrier reef which was good fun, but snorkelling would be fun out there too.

Comment

I went once to my local scuba club.

40 minutes or so sitting bored at the bottom of the diving pool while various stringy men swam past an inch from my face wearing the skimpiest of trunks, way too much information, and completely unnecessary exhibitionism I thought.

I didn't go again.
      Last edited by Clever Hans; 28 May 2011, 02:25.

Comment

Ignore the previous posters feedback. His heart mustn't have been into it if he hated 40 mins so much.

You have two options. do basic stuff here or on holiday. Doing your basic here means you can take your time and if you do go for your first scuba holiday you can get in to better dives a couple of days early. I did this to get my advanced open water PADI. I love scuba so still enjoyed it but its cold and depending where you train visibility can be poor and old quarries are not exactly teaming with life. I had a personal challenge as i hate swiming in water I cant see the bottom so wanted to give it a go. Also learnt how to use a drysuit which you dont need on hols..

Benefits of doing a scuba hols are the weather, warmer sea and some nice sights while you learn. It can be a little expensive and take a lot of your holiday up. If you are happy with this then its a great option.

I did PADI but there are two camps. The other people, cant remember their name say they are better but training seems to a lot longer.

Even if you are doing it on hols I would recommend a few lessons here even if it is a pool. You will get a hang of the basics making you lesson abroad go quicker and you will have more confidence=safer.

Definately do it though you have it then and can go for a dip on hols even if it is just a single dive. There is an amazing world under there.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Israel seemed a popular place to do the training, and cheaper than doing it here

Allegedly BSAC is more rigarous than the PADI training
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I looked into doing the padi over here, it's quite expensive compared to just spending a few extra days in Egypt or wherever (assuming you are going anyway) and will take up a couple of weekends complete with driving and freezing water. If you do it abroad it's not like the holiday time is wasted cos once you are done with learning for the day you can snorkel and work on your tan.

In the end I did the whole thing in Sharm El Sheik with these guys and we did a boat safari for a few days as well. I would recommend them very highly.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm a Dive Leader in BSAC, and think that having a go is a great idea!

If you just want a diving holiday to start with, I'd go to a PADI dive shop and do the theory side of Basic Diver qualification with them, then trot off to Sharm El Sheik and do the fun stuff with a good training shop.

Then if you want to carry on as a hobby look around the BSAC clubs to find one you like. UK diving is brilliant, watch Britain's Secret Seas on Sunday to see.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Head off to Thailand or Bali. Nice diving and a cheap holiday as well.

I've had two goes, both in Thailand. The problem with it to start is, they give you the gear and push you off a boat. The first time I struggled with getting the breathing right and hated it. Tried again 5 years later and this time got the hang of it. Was thinking the same but never have the time.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I've been through the Put Another Dollar In program up to Dive Master (the next step being instructor).

If you are thinking about diving in the UK, I would seriously consider going the BSAC route. It takes a lot longer to get your basic quals, but you will dive with a club rather than a shop and will get some dive buddies along the way as well as taking everything at a slower pace.

If it's going to be an occasional thing, when you go off on your hols or the like then PADI is fine. The first two qualifications (Open Water and Advanced - a joke to call it advanced really) get you to the point where you hopefully won't kill yourself.

If you're going to do PADI, do your theory & poolwork here in the UK- there's no point being in stuck in a classroom when it's 30C outside. Hopefully, you local dive shop will have a partner school somewhere in the Red Sea where you can complete your open water dives.

Best places to go within easy reach are all in the Red Sea. You could try Malta & Gozo, but I've never been myself.

Best diving I've ever done was well off the beaten track in Fiji, and the Ningaloo Reef on the west coast of Oz.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've been to Gozo more than once, it's excellent but maybe not a first timer's place as it can be colder dry suit diving.

I've also dived the M2 shown on Sunday's diving programme, and met congers close up, and eaten fresh diver caught scallops.

Fantastic
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X