• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bypassing the agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bypassing the agency

I went for an interview on tuesday for an "urgent" contract. The interview and everything was secured through an agency.
    Now its proving difficult to get in touch with the agent as he's out on meetings. I spoke to him last night and he said that there was no descision yet. Today he's out again.

How wrong is it to call up the client company myself and ask them how the descision process is going? I'm very keen for this contract and very positive that i've got a very good chance of getting it.
    Coffee's for closers

Its not wrong at all...although by the lack of interest being shown by the agent I suspect the role has gone to someone else.

Remember, these clowns arent your friends! call the client and sort it out.

Mailman

Comment

when i spoke to him last night he seemed pretty upfront about the lack of a definite yes or no from the client
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

You trust the agent to be telling you the truth? If you dont hear anything by lunch time tomorrow call the client directly.

If you have lost out then there is nothing to lose...even if they havent made a decision it at least shows them that you are keen and still available (you never can tell what games agents have been playing eh?).

An agent from Elan IT tried it on with me about how the agents hadnt made up their minds...pitty for her I had already talked to the client and knew the contract had gone elsewhere.

End result was a complaint to the director and she was out the door on her hot little ass! (I checked to make sure she was gone by getting a couple friends to call asking for her and sure enough, she had been fired! ).

Regards

Mailman

Comment

So contact the client. If the answer is no then you have lost nothing. If the answer is yes then the worst that will happed is that the agent will be slightly pi55ed off that you went over his head. As mentioned before these people are not your friends.
          Veni, Vidi, Bibi

Comment

A quick polite call won't do any harm. But yes, most likely you've been unlucky. Otherwise the agent would be pestering you non-stop.

Comment

These pimps live off commission. Their basics are around 17 to 20K, so they need to make deals to survive. (ABC = Always Be Closing). Had you got the gig, SC, the ag*nt would call you, call you and keep calling you to tell you the good news and make sure you sign with him. The fact he hasn't called means you didn't get the gig and AFAHIC you can FOAD.
              Welcome to the wonderful world of contracting.
              We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Just to re-affirm what has been said by others, agents are professional liers. If they can get more income from lying and cheating, they will, and they do. There's no harm in contacting the client.

Comment

Pointless contacting the client, if you had got the contract agent would track you down to the ends of the earth if need be.

Silence means only one of two things, Agent has heard nothing or agent has heard you have not got the gig but is not telling you in case the person who did get it does not take it up for some reason

Comment

And there goes any last shred of trust I had in any agent that I will ever deal with

Job had gone, agent had been told wednesday daytime, then promptly lied to me on wednesday night saying he didn't know.

The client company were pretty annoyed too. Hopefully will be the last time they use that agency
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X