• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mystery of the killer cucumbers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery of the killer cucumbers

The death toll in Germany from an outbreak of E.coli caused by infected cucumbers has risen to at least 10.

BBC News - Germany: Ten die from E.coli-infected cucumbers
    The bug has a fondness for kidneys and is hard to kill.

It's not reported whether the bug resides inside or on the surface of the green stick of death, but I can't see it getting inside unless something put it there. Not surprisingly, as it's green, few children have been infected. Although, IIRC, cucumbers are probably not as offensive to children's taste buds as, for example, spinach or sprouts.

Don't forget your 5 a day.

Proof: healthy food is bad for you
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

It's not reported whether the bug resides inside or on the surface of the green stick of death, but I can't see it getting inside unless something put it there. Not surprisingly, as it's green, few children have been infected. Although, IIRC, cucumbers are probably not as offensive to children's taste buds as, for example, spinach or sprouts.

Probably dodgy fertilizer.

Obviously it's no coincidence that cucumbers are eaten raw. I wonder if it's OK to pop them in boiling water for a few seconds without them turning to mush.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Probably dodgy fertilizer.

Obviously it's no coincidence that cucumbers are eaten raw. I wonder if it's OK to pop them in boiling water for a few seconds without them turning to mush.
        You can stir-fry cucumbers.

Someone from Taiwan showed me how years ago because I had eaten some strange vegetable they had prepared and didn't believe it was a stir-fried cucumber.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The cucumbers were grown by spanish nuns.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Reaction to the cucumber crisis (AKA killer cucumbers)

Germany
            Consumers told not to eat cucumbers, lettuces and raw tomatoes. 1,150 cases of E.coli confirmed; 14 deaths

Sweden
            One death and 36 suspected E. coli infections, linked to travel in northern Germany.

Spain
            Top European cucumber producer - threatens to seek compensation from the European Union for lost vegetables sales

Russia
            Ban on all imports of cucumbers, tomatoes and fresh salad from Spain and Germany pending further notice

Czech Republic
            Some Spanish-grown cucumbers removed from sale

France
            Some Spanish-grown cucumbers removed from sale

Austria
            Ban on sale of cucumbers, tomatoes and aubergines imported via Germany

Belgium
            Reported to have banned cucumber imports from Spain

Netherlands
            Halted all cucumber shipments to Germany

Denmark
            Testing cucumbers for contamination

UK

BBC News - Deadly E. coli infections still rising in Germany

Comment

UK
              "What's a cucumber?" ask fat salad dodging public.
              FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                Proof: healthy food is bad for you
                Indeed.

Somebody on Twitter yesterday quoted the headlines ("Killer cucumber death toll rises", "Europeans panic over cucumber menace") and asked "Have I woken up in a Wallace and Grommit film?"

Comment

And now the Germans have tested the suspected Spanish cucumbers and found them clean.

So now it is clear that nobody knows where the problems comes from.
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Netherlands
                    Halted all cucumber shipments to Germany
                    Typical Dutch government logic this one; Germans dying from German and Spanish cucumbers, Dutch cucumbers tested and found to be clean, ergo; stop selling cucumbers to Germany.

I really despair of the twunts in the Hague. In Netherlands at least, even labour were better than the current bunch of tulipwits.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X