• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain running out of Wind

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain running out of Wind

In 40 years Britain's wind reserves will have been depleted.

Wind farms: Britain is 'running out of wind' - Telegraph
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

My A-Frame for my tomatoes got blown over yesterday. I think we have plenty of wind. If we get low I promise to do my bit.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Wind power goes with the cube of wind speed too. So halving the wind speed means 1/8 the power. Though power also goes with the square of the rotor radius, so that can just be increased in length by (windspeed fraction) ^ -1.5

I thought May was windy. And cold. People are walking around in winter clothes and it's almost June ffs. I think the temperature maxed out at 12 degrees C a few days ago. It's almost June for flips sake. Cold, wet windy. Not a bad climate in summer actually, were it not for the winter temperatures dropping to -18 degrees C </end rant>.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Wind power goes with the cube of wind speed too
        How come? K.E. * 'amount of wind travelled'?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          How come? K.E. * 'amount of wind travelled'?
          Yep.

Comment

Cool, good to know I've not totally lost any 'scientific intuition' I once had.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Cool, good to know I've not totally lost any 'scientific intuition' I once had.
              This isn't so intuitive:

On the other hand, to estimate the typical power, we shouldn’t take the
              mean wind speed and cube it; rather, we should find the mean cube of the
              windspeed. The average of the cube is bigger than the cube of the average.

Comment

Didn't some scottish boffin recently report that while scottish independence was economically viable, there wasn't all that much in it - and there was certainly a lot of hot air going around.

In particular, he pointed out that while there were still some oil reserves, the so-called wind reserves of Scotland were a complete falacy. All these wind farms being built are loss making - and are subsided by the state.

Comment

Wind will never disappear, at least not hot air. Think politics...
                  My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    This isn't so intuitive:
                    Isn't that just saying to find the average wind power, take the average of the power not the power of the average wind? If so, that is pretty obvious albeit a very easy mistake to make.

Comment

Working...
                    X