• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from a Contractor's Hotel Bedroom Vol. LXXIV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from a Contractor's Hotel Bedroom Vol. LXXIV

All ready to start the new gig tomorrow; luckily the Bank Holiday means I've just got time to post these:
    • How 'Hotel-Room Journalism' Uncovered a Qaddafi Bunker - "Foreign journalists in Tripoli, who are in Libya at the invitation--and whim--of Muammar Qaddafi's government, spend a lot of time holed up at the five-star Rixos Hotel, and it's not just because they want to avoid the NATO airstrikes raining down on the capital. As Sky News's Mark Stone explains, it's also because they can't venture outside without government "translators" in tow, spinning the regime's side of the story and restricting the reporters' movements. Over the weekend, however, Stone managed to challenge the government's narrative of events without ever leaving the Rixos, in what he's calling 'hotel-room journalism'..."

• “Our Marketing Is Up Fog Creek” And What We Did About It - Joel Spolsky's company had some surprises when Patrick McKenzie took a proper look at their online marketing. "...I spent a few days comprehensively reviewing the website. We got the whole company together and stepped through the site, one page at a time. For many, it was the first time seeing some of the pages which were critical to making the rent every month. And the pages were… substantially less compelling than the software the team at Fog Creek spends so much effort polishing, in a way that was inhibiting users from actually getting to use that software."

• Forgotten Soviet Moon Rover Beams Light Back to Earth - "At first, Murphy thought the blip might just be an artifact of the instrumentation, a common disturbance caused by turning the detector on and off. But no matter how McMillan tweaked the instruments, the signal kept showing up. By the next morning after analyzing the data, he was sure the blip represented something much more significant: contact with the first robot to roam a surface beyond Earth. Until NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter snapped photographs of the robot's tracks earlier that month, no one had been able to locate the Soviet rover Lunokhod 1 for nearly four decades." I'm not sure why they didn't just ask Zeity where it was.

• Ninety gaffes in ninety years - "From Papua New Guinea to Stoke-on-Trent, Prince Philip has left his mark around the world. As his 90th birthday looms, Hannah Ewan recalls the soundbites that could only have come from one man." I reckon a number of these are quite sensible, actually.

• Books Transformed into 3-D Origami Symbols - "Cast-off books recycled and turned into incredible works of art, showcasing beautiful paper-folding techniques — artist Isaac Salazar is a true book lover!" Yet more awesome book-art.

• Your Complete Guide For Photographing Star Trails - "Ever seen those pictures where the stars streak across the sky in a big arc? Or maybe the whole sky looked like it was spinning?" Trevor Williams tells you everything you need to know to capture such images in the age of digital photography.

• Atari Game Manuals - "Some of the Atari game manuals that I have collected over the years." Joe Kral has an excellent collection

• Doom: Now Playable On A TI-Nspire Calculator - "Is it really possible to play Doom...on a calculator? You may think that one would have just as good a chance at making that happen as ever seeing Duke Nukem Forever, but in the case of the former, it's a reality." (In other news, Duke Nukem Forever went gold last week.)

• tulip my students write - Revel in the decline of educational standards: "The rebel and onion armies showed grose negligence by having many of their battles right inside national parks, like Gettysburg." (I had to use a link shortener on that one...)

• Tubular Bells by the Brooklyn Organ Synth Orchestra - Over twenty different NYC female keyboardists playing over thirty vintage keyboards at Joe McGinty's Carousel Studio in Brooklyn, NY. Listen out for "the Mellotron on the mighty Choir setting!"

Happy invoicing!

Why are you in a hotel when it is a public holiday?

Comment

Prince Phil is a comedy genius.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        [*]Ninety gaffes in ninety years - "From Papua New Guinea to Stoke-on-Trent, Prince Philip has left his mark around the world. As his 90th birthday looms, Hannah Ewan recalls the soundbites that could only have come from one man."

Originally posted by PrincePhilip
        21. "Get me a beer. I don't care what kind it is, just get me a beer!" On being offered the finest Italian wines by PM Giuliano Amato at a dinner in Rome in 2000.
        I reckon a number of these are quite sensible, actually.
        WHS

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          Prince Phil is a comedy genius.
          Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

WHS
          Can you imagine some of the obituaries they have waiting for when he pops his clogs

He;s the best thing about the royal family.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Classic

89. "My son...er...owns them." On being asked on a Canadian tour whether he knew the Scilly Isles
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X