• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Edge of the Eighties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Edge of the Eighties

Bought a great CD at weekend called The Edge of The Eighties. Compilation of a lot of stuff that was mainly in the lower echelons of the charts back in the day though notwithstanding the fact that they were great songs.

Some of the gems contained therein include:

The Passions - I'm in Love with a German Film Star

Nick Stroker Band - A Walk in the Park

Twilight Cafe - Susan Fassbinder

Living on the Ceiling - Blancmange

Back in those days an audience could find its own way to its preferred music without being spoonfed by the mainstream media. That job was performed by Radio 1 and while Culture Club and Spandau Ballet formed the soundtrack to the lives of the masses, the rest of us could enjoy our alternative sounds safe in the knowledge that Kevin and Sharon wouldn't be having a bunk up to it in the back of their XR3 on the way back from Goldiggers on Saturday night.

Nowadays, everything is picked up by the mainstream media; one day they're playing the Blue Parrot, the next they're "rocking the Guardian studio" with that paper's columnists crowing like an embarrassing maiden aunt who still shops in Kensington Market when she should be wearing mohair twinsets bought from the Edinburgh Woollen Mill.

Sometimes, as the saying goes, less is more.

That CD came out a couple of years ago, and I bought it. Yes it is fantastic and like you say, when most people think of 80's music it's always Karma Chameleon and cheese like that. There are some true forgotten classics on there...

Comment

Good album but 53 'alternative' tracks and no Smiths?? Fail.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Looks like good stuff on there, like to have seen a bit more Goth though!
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

Oh, don't know where I got Nick Stroker from. He's on another album called Street Level, not this one.

Comment

I have no shame in saying cluture club's in the church of the poisoned mind is a classic.

ABC's lexicon of love is beyond doubt the finest album to come from the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              ABC's lexicon of love is beyond doubt the finest album to come from the 80s.
              That's a bold statement to make.

It's certainly up there, but have you considered Joe Dolce's Shaddup yer Face and possibly Jive Bunny (The Best Of) ... ?

Comment

I'm being followed by a moonshadow

still stuck in the seventies me

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I'm being followed by a moonshadow

still stuck in the seventies me

Still like a lot of 70s prog.

Greenslade about the best of the bunch IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X