• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stinky Lily

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stinky Lily

Following on from my discovery of dead bumble bees in the blooms of my delphiniums, a somewhat more heartening sight greeted my vision on returning to the herbaceous border this morning.

There, amongst the erect stems of polyanthus (Primula japonica 'Miller's Crimson') and the nodding heads of Sheep's bit scabious (Jasione laevis), emerged the unfolding inflorescence of my stinky lily (Dracunculus vulgaris Schott (1832)).

In full maturity, this plant wields a long black spadix enveloped by a deep purple bract that can reach up to 1 metre in length.

But it is the unique bouquet given off by this plant that is arguably its most distinguishing feature; to attract the shiny carrion fly that acts as this plant's pollinator, an overpowering aroma of roadkill pervades during its flowering period.

Indeed, during this period, we frequently have barbecues in the immediate vicinity of the plant as the flies and wasps are attracted to the flower and we can eat without let or hindrance, though some guests often complain that the fruity hogo puts them off their burgers.
    Last edited by pacharan; 31 May 2011, 12:45.

.... and I thought this thread was about an old bird I used to knock off a few years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
      .... and I thought this thread was about an old bird I used to knock off a few years ago...
      Ah Lily..lovely girl.

smelled a bit but she had a heart of gold

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
        Nah, that was Sweaty Betty

NSFW if you have the sound on.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My grandfather was out in India during the days of the Rhaj.

They would frequently hang a dead animal carcass to keep the flies and wasps away whilst having food outdoors.

Comment

Working...
          X