• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conservatory Options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conservatory Options

Been thinking about a conservatory.

Anyone here ever built the base themselves and then bought a factory built lid to fit on top?

Did you save much money? Did it fit?

Want to go this way myself but want to save money as I'm going for a wooden construction rather than cheap uPVC.

There is alway plan B.

Sorry I thought you said conservative options.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Posh people don't have conservatories they have an orangery.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Posh people don't have conservatories they have an orangery.

HTH
        Well, it is moreorless going to be an orangery.

Did you know that the Victorian used to keep the cavities in the walls of their orangeries filled with horse dung to provide a source of heat?

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
          Well, it is moreorless going to be an orangery.

Did you know that the Victorian used to keep the cavities in the walls of their orangeries filled with horse dung to provide a source of heat?
          That's bulltulip!!

Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
          Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

I did that last year on my new build house. Built the dwarf wall, and then a mate of mine works for a conservatory company so measured up and we fitted it ourselves. It is 6.5 x 3.5 metres so a reasonable size, and I reckon it would've been £10K++ to have fitted. I think it cost me £4K plus the cost of the foundations. They're easy to fit, just like a big Meccano set

Not sure what a true off-the-shelf one would be like though.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
              I did that last year on my new build house. Built the dwarf wall, and then a mate of mine works for a conservatory company so measured up and we fitted it ourselves. It is 6.5 x 3.5 metres so a reasonable size, and I reckon it would've been £10K++ to have fitted. I think it cost me £4K plus the cost of the foundations. They're easy to fit, just like a big Meccano set

Who are you going to sue when it leaks or the units fail?

Just asking like.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post

What was the frame made of?

Comment

It's made from aluminium frames, with dark wood finish uPVC trim and K glass units. Considering it's full of gym equipment, an old bag of cement and kids bikes at the moment, glad I didn't spend a lot more on it either.

Comment

Jesus NO ! Don't even be tempted to stick one of these on the back. House I bought has one, horrid glass box, either too hot or freezing and I can find no good reason to sit in it. I would remove it if I could sort a replacement. Light airy sun room (skylights etc) with arch through to rest of house and proper lighting, blinds and heating is fine (even better if it has an actual use eg dining room. I think people will be removing these in huge numbers over the next few years.
                    Sometimes planning permission is a good idea !

Comment

Working...
                    X