• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chain Gastro Pubs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Gastro Pubs

I recently revisited what had been one of my favourite pubs several years ago for some lunch.
    Now part of the Chef and Brewer chain, the food has dropped in standard to no better than a Harvester* but with inflated prices.

Is there a CAMRA equivalent for these places so one knows where to avoid?

*On second thoughts a Harvester pub is better given that there is no deception involved
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I recently revisited what had been one of my favourite pubs several years ago for some lunch.
    Now part of the Chef and Brewer chain, the food has dropped in standard to no better than a Harvester* but with inflated prices.

Is there a CAMRA equivalent for these places so one knows where to avoid?

*On second thoughts a Harvester pub is better given that there is no deception involved
    Oor local is a Hungry Horse. Missus and I often go up there for their "Early Bird" specials.

Comment

As a rule of thumb, I would generally avoid any pubs with Harvester, Sizzlin', Brewers Fayre et al and most definitely anything 2-4-1 or 2 for £10...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
        As a rule of thumb, I would generally avoid any pubs with Harvester, Sizzlin', Brewers Fayre et al and most definitely anything 2-4-1 or 2 for £10...
        Goes without saying (unless that's what you're after) however some of these chains can be quite subtle (i.e. sneaky) about the branding and it's not until you're inside and looking at the menu that you realise you're about to order a reheated meal
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

The Good Pub Guide 2011 - Information and reviews on the best pubs across the UK

They have their reviews on-line now, very nice!

Perhaps this would have identified your pub as a craphole?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Goes without saying (unless that's what you're after) however some of these chains can be quite subtle (i.e. sneaky) about the branding and it's not until you're inside and looking at the menu that you realise you're about to order a reheated meal
            If you do end up in places like that the trick is to order something that can;t have been pre-packaged. Go for steak, roast chicken, burgers etc. Your much more likely to get something edible.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              If you do end up in places like that the trick is to order something that can;t have been pre-packaged. Go for steak, roast chicken, burgers etc. Your much more likely to get something edible.
              Most of the stuff that is peddled by those establishments hardly qualifies as fresh and goes from freezer to deep fat fryer or freezer to microwave.

Anything that is fresh will be of questionable source so don't expect anything of any quality.

With the high turnover of staff and the low pay the food safety and hygiene often suffers.

Best to avoid.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                Most of the stuff that is peddled by those establishments hardly qualifies as fresh and goes from freezer to deep fat fryer or freezer to microwave.

Anything that is fresh will be of questionable source so don't expect anything of any quality.

With the high turnover of staff and the low pay the food safety and hygiene often suffers.

Best to avoid.
                WNS. Plus boil in the bag stuff.

On the staff side, try explaining to a hungry 2 year old why his plate of chips hasn't arrived when everyone else's food has.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                  I don't. If I'm taking the kids out, that's exactly where we head.

They can throw their food around, make as much noise as they want and if anyone tells me to keep them quiet I am safe in the knowledge I can tell someone to f-off and know I haven't been barred from anywhere nice.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    WNS. Plus boil in the bag stuff.

On the staff side, try explaining to a hungry 2 year old why his plate of chips hasn't arrived when everyone else's food has.
                    Why, it shouldn't take a minute to microwave a plate of chips ?
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                    X