• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Academic References

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Academic References

I have been offered a place on a Master Course, as I have not done a bachelors degree and using "life experience" as my qualifications I am being asked for an employers reference, however I am a contractor so any clients I work with are usually only for 3-6 months at a time. Has anyone any experience of this sort of thing, as to what I should be asking?

(PS I have asked this same question to the admissions team but awaiting their reply)
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Send me 100 GBP to my paypal and I will write you a reference.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
      Cheapskate.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        Shirley you mean Western Union Transfer?!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Couldn't your company secretary write a reference from your company ?
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            Couldn't your company secretary write a reference from your company ?
            Or an agent? Dodgy will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              I have been offered a place on a Master Course, as I have not done a bachelors degree and using "life experience" as my qualifications I am being asked for an employers reference, however I am a contractor so any clients I work with are usually only for 3-6 months at a time. Has anyone any experience of this sort of thing, as to what I should be asking?

(PS I have asked this same question to the admissions team but awaiting their reply)
              What course are you going for?

From my experience they will need to see
              Your CV
              References from someone you know professionally, you must have gathered at least a couple of decent contacts you could ask nicely for a written reference.
              Some proof that you have taken your professional development seriously and don't spend every night at the pub/sat in front of the TV
              A good personal statement. They do not want people who are doing a masters for the sake of it, you need to have a personal and not just professional interest in the subject.

I did have the advantage of a bachelors degree but given that 12 years had passed, my passing mark wasn't exactly great (obviously more pub than lectures) and it was a completely different subject area I'm not sure how much weight it gave to my application.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Or an agent? Dodgy will do it for a fee.
                ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  ftfy
                  Just threaten to key his Ford Cortina.

Comment

I did the same a few years back. One of the references I had was just someone I used to work with and the other was a manager I had known for less than a year (I'd recently handed him my notice to go contracting).
                    They were also interested in seeing my certs, the person interviewing me said that these were required.

Comment

Working...
                    X