• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banks accused of using mortgage debt leniency to flatter numbers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banks accused of using mortgage debt leniency to flatter numbers

Lender forbearance – where banks shift homeowners onto interest-only deals, extend their mortgage term, or even permit payment holidays – now accounts for 63pc of all troubled home loans, according to the Financial Services Authority (FSA).

Although forbearance can help households, the FSA is concerned banks are using it to flatter their numbers by reducing bad debt provisions.

In a guidance note on "forbearance and impairment provisions", it said: "We believe that there is scope for considerable improvement in firms' interpretation of the disclosure requirements." A spokesman added that "there are concerns" about banks' use of forbearance.

The regulator fears that "where [forbearance] is provided without due care or understanding of the impacts, it has potentially adverse implications for the customer". In one instance, the FSA said, "more than 95pc of customers requesting a conversion to permanent interest-only terms were found to be in financial stress".

"As a result, firms who have implemented sound checks ... may see their volume of permanent conversions drop significantly."

As many as 300,000 borrowers have switched roughly £60bn of mortgage debt from repayment to interest-only since the financial crisis struck in late 2007, FSA data shows. As forbearance does "not show up in arrears , "[it] may, at least to some extent, be disguising the scale of problems," the watchdog said.

According to research by Fathom Consulting, write-off rates on lending to UK households – currently a fraction of one percent – are no higher than in 2001 despite the recession and a 20pc fall in house prices. In the US, write-off rates have increased fivefold to 9pc since its housing bubble burst in 2007.

"Banks should be making much larger provisions because the current status is artificial," Danny Gabay, a Fathom director, said. "We have lower foreclosure rates than during the boom. It's just not plausible." UK banks are currently holding about £1.6bn in provisions against the country's total £1.2 trillion mortgage book. (AtW's comment: so that's just 0.1% provisioned for losses...)

In its guidance note, which was published unnoticed last month, the FSA even instructed auditors to take a tougher line on the banks. "We are looking to accounting and auditing firms to become more aware of forbearance practices in the firms they audit and the requirement for consideration of its effect in the recognition and disclosure of accounting impairment," the watchdog said.

Households are under huge financial stress despite average mortgage rates of 3.5pc being below the 5pc minimum in the years before the crisis. According to Darren Winder, economist at Oriel Securities, if mortgage rates return to those levels, the share of disposable income taken by mortgage payments will jump from 18pc to 21pc.

"Typically, levels that high are followed by a recession," he said, citing 2008 and 1990.

Earlier this year, analysts at the credit rating agency Moody's said the scale of forbearance was a "credit negative" for the country's banking system as its experience showed that on average roughly half the mortgages in forbearance default again.

Source: Banks accused of using mortgage debt leniency to flatter numbers - Telegraph

---

Changes terms of loan to more favourable is a good thing so long as the main motivation is not to avoid showing true state of the loan book.

I think you need to make a career choice.
    Do you want to be a crap economist, a mediocre programmer or a failed businessman?

Because those are your options.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Do you want to be a crap economist, a mediocre programmer or a failed businessman?

I disagree.

AtW is quite capable of being all three at once.

Comment

Don't be unkind - the poor lad's just worried about his repayments.

'No, Guv, I can get you the money by Monday. Please, then break the legs but don't touch her cushions.'

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
          He hasn't got his sofa yet, so you must mean his....err.......'girlfriend'.
          He makes her wear cushions and lie down in the corner.

Comment

A career beckons with a rating agency if you're a crap economist, or if you're really lucky you could end up as PM
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I told you so, a year ago.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1086609
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Yes, good call - looks like the actual number is more like 300k.

The real killer will be when rates finally go back to normal levels - 5%+, banks are so used to massive margins between 0% on savings and 5-20% on loans that they might just be forced to moderate those massive bonuses a little bit. Just think of the poor Porsche dealerships in London, poor fellows.

Comment

It's good to know that tax payers money is being used to support those that can't afford to pay for their home so that house prices remain high to prevent those that could afford to buy them from doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    It's good to know that tax payers money is being used to support those that can't afford to pay for their home so that house prices remain high to prevent those that could afford to buy them from doing so.
                    It's not about that - giving payment holidays and/or switching to interest only payments is ok in my book, so long as such loans recognised as much higher risk and appropriate provisions are made. What FSA suggest is that banks do not do it and thus effectively hide the problem which can grow unchecked until it blows up as new crisis.

Comment

Working...
                    X