• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bit of common sense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of common sense

BBC News - Global war on drugs has 'failed' say former leaders

The "Global Commission on Drug Policy" calls for decriminalizing drug use. Which of course would open the way for legal distribution & taxation.

Not making criminals out of people who aren't doing any harm to others sounds like a very laudable aim. On the other hand, is there not a chance that once every one is running around off their tits quite a few of them will be doing harm to others? I suppose that would be covered by existing laws though.

I think I am in favour.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    BBC News - Global war on drugs has 'failed' say former leaders

The "Global Commission on Drug Policy" calls for decriminalizing drug use. Which of course would open the way for legal distribution & taxation.

Not making criminals out of people who aren't doing any harm to others sounds like a very laudable aim. On the other hand, is there not a chance that once every one is running around off their tits quite a few of them will be doing harm to others? I suppose that would be covered by existing laws though.

I think I am in favour.
    This is obviously a contentious issue. If you make it legal, then all trafficking ceases, the quality of the drugs can be controlled, you create jobs in the manufacture and control of said drugs.

Also those teens that were doing drugs clandestinely now would need to either get it on prescription (seeing the family doctor) or over the counter where Auntie Shirley works.

That said, legalising alcohol didn't stop people getting drunk, so there will still be drug abusers (as oppposed to recreational users) who go around hurting others.

I think the upshot of legalising it is that it will create more tax revenue, and put a few drugs barons out of business.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I think the upshot of legalising it is that it will create more tax revenue, and put a few drugs barons out of business.
      That alone makes it worth seriously considering it (same applies to prostitution)

The issue is that no MP will suggest / back it as it would political suicide as the Daily Mail type of voters would not think about the consequences but be led by sales driven headlines such as “UK to become Drug Capital of the World”
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        That alone makes it worth seriously considering it (same applies to prostitution)
        Then we could legally snort coke off a hookers tits. Which would no doubt boost tourism as well.

It's a win win situation. Except possibly for the girls.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The issue is that no MP will suggest / back it as it would political suicide as the Daily Mail type of voters would not think about the consequences but be led by sales driven headlines such as “UK to become Drug Capital of the World
          I suspect a good percentage of Daily Mail readers are on drugs, or should be.

Also the Sun readers contingent would see being the Drug Capital of the World as a point of patriotic pride.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            It's a win win situation. Except possibly for the girls.
            But the girls are more likely to be in the profession out of choice, will get paid better & have rights & a legal leg to stand on in case of issues, so yes a win win
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

But the girls are more likely to be in the profession out of choice, will get paid better & have rights & a legal leg to stand on in case of issues, so yes a win win
              You're living in cloud-cuckoo land.

Comment

Not if this legalisation moves them into the public sector.

It would however create career opportunities for nurses, midwives etc and get more use out of the uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Pop over for a cuppa, it's a great place.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Quite possibly, but the sun is shining here so why not
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X