• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Much In Your Pocket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much In Your Pocket

Having seen the amounts quoted running through a composite company structure, is it possible to match it via a ltd company.

If you have a weekly gross of say £1500 (before VAT), what should you be able to pull out of your company and when?

The reason I ask is that I have been quoted about £1100 - £1200 per week via a composite which I never got close to while using my ltd company.

Cheers
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

You may save money by using a composite or managed service company, but in the light of this week's Budget (see 5.85) you'll have to give it all back to Hector some day soon (with interest!)
    Cats are evil.

Comment

I realise that. The point I was making was that composite companies should be as tax efficient (or less) than a ltd company. I just don't seem to be able to get as much out of my ltd company as I could out of a composite.

So if your company generates £1500 in fees, what would be a typical PAYE monthly amount and quarterly divi payment?
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Are they making assumptions on expenses? I.e. maximum allowable amount of lunch every day etc. They might also be assuming you don't get into the higher rate tax band, so your dividends are not taxed. If you're billing £1500 per week for most of the year, you obviously will.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I think they seem to quote based upon not coughing up the extra TAX due (from DIVIs) when you fill in your tax return.
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

How much in your pocket

Is that £1200 in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
              Having seen the amounts quoted running through a composite company structure, is it possible to match it via a ltd company.
              Cheers
              I used to use Giant and was getting about 76% - 80% after deductions with their powerhouse divs scheme but switched to Ltd (using SJD accountants) and am actually slightly better off after going Ltd

HTH

Comment

No, They stated that they pay min wage. Then they pay divis and these can be split between me and the wife to avoid the 40% bracket. No claiming of expenses without reciepts etc

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Lets say billing 75k p.a. Nil expenses. Salary 4800. NI nil, tax nil.

Profit = 70,200. CT = 13338.

Divi = 56862

P1 = 33231. Higher rate tax = 0
                  P2 = 28431. ditto

Total yield = 82%

Of course this assumes outside IR35 and S660 and that there is no other income on either party to push them into the higher rate bracket.

Comment

The thing is that there's nothing here that Tony can't do for himself.

So why isn't he?

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X