• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things that are pronounced differently to how they used to be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that are pronounced differently to how they used to be

Was up the Hungry Horse & the blokes at the bar were talking about words that are now pronounced differently to how they used to be years ago.

Though the conversation lasted the whole of my 2 pints of Triple Crown allocation, I can only remember 2 words.

They are (with old pronunciation followed by new in parentheses):

Nestles (nessulls/nestlays)
    Lichen(lichinn/liken)

I'm sure there are loads more. Let's start a list.

Just listen to copies of the World Service from 50 years ago. Sounds reet posh.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Was up the Hungry Horse & the blokes at the bar were talking about words that are now pronounced differently to how they used to be years ago.

Though the conversation lasted the whole of my 2 pints of Triple Crown allocation, I can only remember 2 words.

Lichen(lichinn/liken)

pacharan (twunt/knut)
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Shouldn't it be "Things that people in my local have only recently learned to pronounce properly"
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

Lichen(lichinn/liken)

"Yoagert" instead of "yoggut" for yoghurt

Even my granddad, born in the 1880s, used to pronounce some of his "a"s as "e"s, such as "Chairing Cross" instead of "Charrying Cross", and "Pell Mell" instead of "pal mal" (and if you asked him the time, he'd say "five and twenty past .." like the blackbirds in the pie )

"BalCONEY" instead of "BALcony"

Going back a couple of hundred years, the changes get even more bizarre, such as "obleege" instead of "oblige", "Rooom" for "Rome".

"forrid" instead of "fore head"

"vytamin" instead of "vittamin"
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Pacharan, you have done something I thought was not possible! You make gricerboy, d00hg and Wilmslow sound super interesting.

Comment

Nestlé is a derived from a Schwäbisch word - it's not in fact French.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Rhodesia

Ceylon

Deputy Prime Minister
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

"Gordon Brown"/"One eyed, slack jawed, incompetant, indiscrete, gold selling, economy mismanaging, c**t"

. . . at least that's how it's pronounced around here.
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

I bought my house from someone with the middle name "St John" pronounced "sin gin".
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X