• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How tight are you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How tight are you?

The watches thread got me thinking - seems some of you spend thousands on friperries.
    I'm very tight indeed and only spend money on the following: house and location (have to be the best, that's an investment and you live there), working clothes (my suits are hand made - sadly in this shallow world appearance counts), holidays (5 star and club class always - probably a legacy of my backpacking horror student days), food and drink (no point taking in crap).

I can do without casual designer labels, flash cars, jewellery, and all the appertunances of an "aspiring" lifestyle designed to show off to the Jones's.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

I'm not tight at all.

I spend money on everything, including friends, family etc. I have no debts other than a mortgage, sufficient investments to ensure that my nearest and dearest will be taken care of, anything else is disposable income to be spent on anything I feel like and I have impeccable taste.

Comment

Sas,

me and thee are more similar than you think

Milan.

Comment

I'm terrible with money. Falls through my fingers like water through a sieve. My answer to everything is to earn more. I've a feeling if I stopped the unnecessary leakage I'd save around £1500 - £2k a month.

PS: Don't wear a watch, don't remember the last time I did sometime last millennia.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          The watches thread got me thinking
          And for that unlikely by-product alone, deserves all the plaudits that will undoubtedly rain down upon it!

I'm very tight indeed and only spend money on the following: house and location (have to be the best, that's an investment and you live there)
          Fooking Wandsworth!!

You makes I larf sg!!

I can do without casual designer labels
          Indeed. You just laugh right back at them!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The watches thread got me thinking - seems some of you spend thousands on friperries.
            I'm very tight indeed and only spend money on the following: house and location (have to be the best, that's an investment and you live there), working clothes (my suits are hand made - sadly in this shallow world appearance counts), holidays (5 star and club class always - probably a legacy of my backpacking horror student days), food and drink (no point taking in crap).

I can do without casual designer labels, flash cars, jewellery, and all the appertunances of an "aspiring" lifestyle designed to show off to the Jones's.
            I'm quite tight(frugle is the word).

I spend on the house + investment property. Still aspiring to the type of house I want, which is 6/7 bed Georgian, 10-20 acres or so and would be in Wiltshire/Somerset. I can afford it now, but no point moving at the moment while work is up here.

Holidays. 5 star (kids)yes and business class(anywhere), but if on my own I'll still go in a reasonably priced backpackers place. I quite like the interaction with backpackers.

Suits. Off the peg. Couple of hundred quid. I rarely wear a suit these days and I am a great believer in substance over style. I don't need to look sharp for people to know 'He's the man'.

I've just start treating myself to gadgets. But jewellery, flash cars, designer clothes - let the idiots who think these are important buy them.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I spend on the house + investment property. Still aspiring to the type of house I want, which is 6/7 bed Georgian, 10-20 acres or so and would be in Wiltshire/Somerset. I can afford it now, but no point moving at the moment while work is up here.

Holidays. 5 star (kids)yes and business class(anywhere), but if on my own I'll still go in a reasonably priced backpackers place. I quite like the interaction with backpackers.

Suits. Off the peg. Couple of hundred quid. I rarely wear a suit these days and I am a great believer in substance over style. I don't need to look sharp for people to know 'He's a fat bastard'.

I've just start treating myself to gadgets. But jewellery, flash cars, designer clothes - let the idiots who think these are important buy them.
              ftfy.

Comment

I gotta say,

a lot of the people I come across with the flash cars, X5's, RR Sports etc, they've got it all on the never never and nothing to back it up and if their cashflow stops they´re fecked I dunno how they do it I wouldn't be able to sleep

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  ftfy.

MF,

you left yourself wide open for that one

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Urban Dictionary: frugle

Comment