• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Search Facility: a couple of points

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search Facility: a couple of points

It has been brought to my attention that I have posted on a topic that was recently discussed.

Now, I usually do a search to ensure that the topic of my thread does not exist in a contemporary parallel thread.

So, I went to the advanced search utility and entered the term SSD. I got a message telling me that the search term was too short. I then entered Solid State Drive and then got a plethora of results, mostly just containing the word Drive. No good at all. Putting the expression in quotes didn't make any difference.

Am I doing something wrong or, if not, can the search facility be improved?

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Am I doing something wrong
    Multiple things probably.

HTH
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      It has been brought to my attention that I have posted on a topic that was recently discussed.

Now, I usually do a search to ensure that the topic of my thread does not exist in a contemporary parallel thread.

So, I went to the advanced search utility and entered the term SSD. I got a message telling me that the search term was too short. I then entered Solid State Drive and then got a plethora of results, mostly just containing the word Drive. No good at all. Putting the expression in quotes didn't make any difference.

Am I doing something wrong or, if not, can the search facility be improved?
      It's the same on pretty much every forum, a bit of a bugger in the IT world where everything gets abbreviated to TLA's.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Site-specific search on Google:site:forums.contractoruk.com ssd

If you want to be really specific, you can select an individual forum:site:forums.contractoruk.com/technical/ ssd

Comment

Well done, you've joined the exclusive chutney spoon club.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Site-specific search on Google:site:forums.contractoruk.com ssd

If you want to be really specific, you can select an individual forum:site:forums.contractoruk.com/technical/ ssd
            Ooh-Ah!! That's good innit. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              It's the same on pretty much every forum, a bit of a bugger in the IT world where everything gets abbreviated to TLA's.
              Agreed - RTFM Pacman or whatever your sockie is called

Comment

Working...
              X