• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank charges eh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank charges eh

Got a bank charge of £20 on my credit card for a missed payment...only thing was my card is always paid in full BEFORE the due date!

So I wrote to the feckers and the refunded the amount.

Got a new statement this month, £125 worth of fecking charges on it! So I ring to find out what the story is and its because my account was overdrawn on the 2nd of Feb for 1 day before my usual payment goes in!

2nd of Feb for fecks sake and the charges have only just been taken out TODAY!

So another letter is in the post, Ive cancelled my credit cards and closed my savings account (transferring a good amount of money out of it) and will close my daily account as soon as the money is refunded!

Fecking banks and their excessive profits!

Mailman

My credit card co. wouldn't cancel my card when I phoned up ...even though they owed me money.... because I don't know what my Internet p/w is.... I've never used the internet facility!!!!??

Blinkin' feckers!!

Comment

My Credit card co called me, went through all my account and then at the end asked me the security questions.
      Veni, Vidi, Bibi

Comment

Contest them

Originally posted by Mailman
        Got a bank charge of £20 on my credit card for a missed payment...only thing was my card is always paid in full BEFORE the due date!

So I wrote to the feckers and the refunded the amount.

Got a new statement this month, £125 worth of fecking charges on it! So I ring to find out what the story is and its because my account was overdrawn on the 2nd of Feb for 1 day before my usual payment goes in!

2nd of Feb for fecks sake and the charges have only just been taken out TODAY!

So another letter is in the post, Ive cancelled my credit cards and closed my savings account (transferring a good amount of money out of it) and will close my daily account as soon as the money is refunded!

Fecking banks and their excessive profits!

Mailman
        Bank charges greater than the consequential loss to the bank represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). Bank accounts fall within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 you are a consumer. Charges would constitute an unfair penalty under paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 of the said regulations.

In the Scottish case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract. This is also the position in English law: Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915]

0n 26 July 2005 the OFT stated that 'a charge is likely to be disproportionately high if it is more than a court would be likely to award if the lender sued the cardholder for breach of contract'.

See http://www.govanlc.com/pro-forma%20l...0to%20bank.htm for a sample letter to send to the bank.

Abbey settled out of court over a case on charges see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...4/nabbey04.xml and more recently a man was given the right to send in the baliffs on a claim against his bank for charges of £2,000

Comment

Bank pays back penalty charges after bailiff threat

Mullen claimed a series of 30 pounds penalties imposed by Lloyds was unlawful because they made money for the bank rather than simply cover its costs, and he was awarded a court judgement last month.

Banks seem to upset a lot of people: http://www.bankchargeshell.co.uk/
          Last edited by datestamp; 24 March 2006, 17:43.

Comment

B(W)ankers !

I suggest that we all start complaining, as the banks know they are treading on thin ice for their exorbitant charges. Where is the FSA on this ? I had a £ 25 charge refunded from Capital One last month, as they had logged my cheque as received on the day it had cleared my account ! I had threatened to send copies of my bank statement to the FSA, so they refunded it. I think they got me this month though for exceeding the limit by £ 2 !

Comment

Datestamp,

I have been looking for that story all day!

Zathras,

Wish I had included that paragraph of yours in my letter!

Anyway, my bank is HSBC and the thing that interested me the most about their £11billion profit was that the majority of it came from private banking interests (ie. people like you and me and lending etc) whereas the other big 5 banks made most of their money from their commercial interests.

Now I can see how HSBC have made all their money!

Mailman

Comment

Oh yeah the other thing that made me laugh was that the bank wanted to give me an overdraft so I wouldnt be charged in the future etc.

IF they could give me an over draft now...why didnt they just give me one back in Feb instead of charging me excessively?

Mailman

Comment

The best thing your average member of the public can do is to transfer their accounts to a mutual society/co-op/credit union. It allows people in some small way to recoup the cost of penalties they have incurred (either in lower borrowing rates, higher savings rates or lower charges). Examples are: Nationwide, Co-Operative Bank, Smile or your local un-demutualised building society.

Comment

The Co-op rent office space to one particular lender who charges APRs upwards of 150% to personal lenders. There's more than one way to make money out of questionable financial products.

My bank charged me £25 for making the mistake of overdrawing on one of my accounts (exactly as per the contract I signed with them). One quick phone call and they refunded it nice as anything. That's the only time I've come across bank charges in over 20 years so all this crap about excessive charging is a bit overblown. For no charge I get access to my cash and accounts 24 hours a day. It's a wonder they make any money from the average Joe in the street.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                    X