• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS Contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHS Contracts

Hi All,

Tried a search but cant search for 'nhs' - too short.

Im interviewing for an NHS role next week.

Its about £50 a day less than what I earn now, doing 3rd Line Intrastructure (Wintel, Virtualisation & Security)

Its close to home.

Its only advertised as 6-8 weeks, but the agent says there are more jobs in there once 'the foot is in the door' and higher paid ones at that.

Whats NHS contracting like? I worked in the Police before and didnt really like it.

Any pros or cons?

Is it worth grabbing this short contract so that I have the 'NHS Experience' that is so essential on a lot of jobs?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
    Hi All,

Im interviewing for an NHS role next week.

Its about £50 a day less than what I earn now, doing 3rd Line Intrastructure (Wintel, Virtualisation & Security)

Its close to home.

Its only advertised as 6-8 weeks, but the agent says there are more jobs in there once 'the foot is in the door' and higher paid ones at that.

Whats NHS contracting like? I worked in the Police before and didnt really like it.

Any pros or cons?

Is it worth grabbing this short contract so that I have the 'NHS Experience' that is so essential on a lot of jobs?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
    Hi Peter

I've been pigeon-holed for NHS work and am having difficulty getting away from the NHS. I've worked for and along side the NHS for 25years - with the last 7 years as a contractor, but the daily rates are now becoming ludicrous. In some cases the contractor is earning less than the permanent staff - the agencies IMO do not appear to be doing a good job in supporting the contractor anymore.

The NHS are relatively poor payers. They say the follow PRINCE 2 (in which case the NHS would appear to have their own - different - version). I've only ever worked for one trust that did actually follow it.

As a PM the hardest task I have with the NHS is to get them to deliver any effort into their own project, and for them to take ownership of their project; some trusts think the PM is there to manage the project and do all of the work with no input from them at all.

There are a lot of part time workers in the NHS - in some trusts there would appear to be more part time than full time?

There are some very good trusts to work for - and I'm not saying which?! lol

There are some absolutely appalling places to work for - private message me and I will tell you some of my experiences.

The lower daily rate "because its the NHS" - is bull tulip. Wait 'till you see some of the monetary values moved about (and for what) and then you will see what I mean?

I'd like to break out of the NHS - but having difficulty doing so (even though I have a commercial background as well as the NHS).

Like I say though - Its not all negative - there are some trusts and people I've worked with in the NHS who I would work for again (and I'd even consider a lower daily rate to do so).

Can you say where you will be working?

Comment

Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
      Top tip, do a google for: site:forums.contractoruk.com nhs
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
      X