• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aching Wrists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aching Wrists

A week today and I've got my first essay type exam for 28 years, so I've been practising my handwriting and boy do my wrists ache.

Also whilst revising came across a bit of Cicero that has some startling revelancies for todays society.

(a)
    Gaius Gracchus introduced a corn law. The commons were delighted, it made generous provision for the means of subsistence without their having to work for it. The boni found it repugnant, because they thought the commons were being encouraged to give up hard work and take to idleness, and they could see that the treasury was being drained dry. (Cicero, Pro Sestio 103)
    (b)
    ... so too Gaius Gracchus. Although he had granted extravagant doles and poured out money from the treasury like water, he nevertheless spoke as if he were the watch-dog of the treasury. Why should I pay attention to words when the facts are in front of my eyes? The famous Lucius Piso Frugi had consistently opposed the corn law. But once the law had been ratified, for all that he was an ex-consul, he came along to collect his corn ration. Gracchus noticed Piso standing there in the crowd, and with the Roman people listening asked him how he could reconcile his applying for his corn ration with his opposition to the law which made it possible. ‘Idonot care for
    this fancy of yours, Gracchus, to divide my goods among every
    Tom, Dick and Harry’, replied Piso; ‘but, since that is what you
    are doing, I shall claim my share.’ Does not the conduct of that
    worthy and wise statesman make it plain that Rome’s public
    wealth was being squandered by Gracchus’ law? Yet read
    Gracchus’ speeches and you will declare him to be the jealous
    guardian of the public purse.
    (Cicero, Tusculan Disputations 3.48)
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Swap hands half way through, also if you sit on your hand it feels like someone else is writing the essay for you
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Swap hands half way through, also if you sit on your hand it feels like someone else is writing the essay for you
      ...and Paint your finger nails with a bright red nail varnish, so it looks as if someone else is doing it for you ........ the exam that is

Comment

Try using your Dictophone

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'm in the same boat, except I did one last year.

Someone suggested taking along a few different pens - the slight change in grip helps relieve the strain.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
            A week today and I've got my first essay type exam for 28 years, so I've been practising my handwriting and boy do my wrists ache.

Also whilst revising came across a bit of Cicero that has some startling revelancies for todays society.

(a)
            Gaius Gracchus introduced a corn law. The commons were delighted, it made generous provision for the means of subsistence without their having to work for it. The boni found it repugnant, because they thought the commons were being encouraged to give up hard work and take to idleness, and they could see that the treasury was being drained dry. (Cicero, Pro Sestio 103)
            (b)
            ... so too Gaius Gracchus. Although he had granted extravagant doles and poured out money from the treasury like water, he nevertheless spoke as if he were the watch-dog of the treasury. Why should I pay attention to words when the facts are in front of my eyes? The famous Lucius Piso Frugi had consistently opposed the corn law. But once the law had been ratified, for all that he was an ex-consul, he came along to collect his corn ration. Gracchus noticed Piso standing there in the crowd, and with the Roman people listening asked him how he could reconcile his applying for his corn ration with his opposition to the law which made it possible. ‘Idonot care for
            this fancy of yours, Gracchus, to divide my goods among every
            Tom, Dick and Harry’, replied Piso; ‘but, since that is what you
            are doing, I shall claim my share.’ Does not the conduct of that
            worthy and wise statesman make it plain that Rome’s public
            wealth was being squandered by Gracchus’ law? Yet read
            Gracchus’ speeches and you will declare him to be the jealous
            guardian of the public purse.
            (Cicero, Tusculan Disputations 3.48)
            I always enjoyed studying Cicero, he was one of the more interesting orators.

Good luck with the exam.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              I always enjoyed studying Cicero, he was one of the more interesting orators.

Good luck with the exam.
              Thanks.

Yes Cicero is interesting and ironically more important now, as a good source, than he was alive during the fall of the republic. Although he came to an ill deserved end, but that was politics as it was.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Is there no option to type it in the exam?
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Hire a Bob to do the writing for you.

Although all your answers may end up in Hinglish.

Comment

I always rather liked the Gracchi brothers. They used a constitution based on an electoral system rigged heavily in the favour of the aristocracy to attempt some kind of redress for the pressures being put on the ordinary Roman by social and economic changes. No wonder they were whacked.

Comment

Working...
                    X