• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vietnamese builders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vietnamese builders

Caught a news story recently about a Vietnamese builder whose wife was killed in a hit and run in London the other day.

Tragic of course but got me thinking.... with so many people unemployed, how can it be sustainable to allow builders from Vietnam to rock up and start making a living? The guy couldn't speak English so how is he going to understand the building regs that the indigenous builders are bound up in? Who picks up the tab for his wife and kids use of our infrastructure and safety nets? and so forth. I can just about stomach Polish builders coming over here but this is taking it to another level.

They are cheap and corners are cut, its just like when ClientCo ships everything out to Bob's, however their work ethic makes up for any short comings until the whole house of cards falls in on itself.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
      Caught a news story recently about a Vietnamese builder whose wife was killed in a hit and run in London the other day.

Tragic of course but got me thinking.... with so many people unemployed, how can it be sustainable to allow builders from Vietnam to rock up and start making a living? The guy couldn't speak English so how is he going to understand the building regs that the indigenous builders are bound up in? Who picks up the tab for his wife and kids use of our infrastructure and safety nets? and so forth. I can just about stomach Polish builders coming over here but this is taking it to another level.
      While the English 'chav' class is content to refuse work on the grounds that it'll dent their benefits, and to allow their kids to treat school as an inconvenience and leave with no/useless qualifications, then these jobs will be filled by others who are prepared to get off their arses and do a days graft.

I don't care where he comes from as long as he's here legally, working and paying tax.

I'd rather have a hard working Pole or Vietnamese living next door than an unemployed chav family.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Having been unable to find any references to the poor sod whose wife's just been killed, on what grounds do you believe he's not an indigenous worker?

My brother-in-law is Vietnamese and a civil engineer, having graduated from Heriott-Watt in 1986. He's also been a British citizen since 1990.

Conversely, while in Vietnam a few years ago, I met many Vietnamese who were highly competent and spoke very good English, and are probably better educated then many posters here.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
          with so many people unemployed, how can it be sustainable to allow builders from Vietnam to rock up and start making a living?
          Are the unemployed masses any good at building?
          I can just about stomach Polish builders coming over here but this is taking it to another level.
          On what grounds are Vietnamese worse than Polish in your view? Because one is in the EU? Or because you don't like Asian people?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Having been unable to find any references to the poor sod whose wife's just been killed, on what grounds do you believe he's not an indigenous worker?

My brother-in-law is Vietnamese and a civil engineer, having graduated from Heriott-Watt in 1986. He's also been a British citizen since 1990.

Conversely, while in Vietnam a few years ago, I met many Vietnamese who were highly competent and spoke very good English, and are probably better educated then many posters here.
            Are you including yourself in that bollocks, Bollocks?

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
              I'd rather have a hard working Pole or Vietnamese living next door than an unemployed chav family.
              WHS
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Are you including yourself in that bollocks...
                No, but you obviously include yourself. And quite rightly too, given your level of erudition.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  No, but you obviously include yourself. And quite rightly too, given your level of erudition.
                  Agreed, but you set the bar ridiculously low.

Comment

Blimey - I received an infraction notice from someone called Not All There for this post. Apologies if any misconstrued my post as racist. It was not meant to be and I consider it not, but can see how others might see it otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X