• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Key attributes sought after in First time contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key attributes sought after in First time contractors

Hi,

I have been in UK in a permanent job as a Business Analyst for over a year, and want to try my hand at Contracting.
    I have about 4 years of BA experience out of which 1 year is in London.

I've sent out my CV to quite a few consultants, but havent had much success yet.
    I've tried tweaking my CV to make it more contract worthy, but I dont know whether that is making a difference.

Although this is a broad question, what are the attributes consultants look for when hiring contractors? And does a difference in the rate make a big difference?

Thanks

Originally posted by aparnaiyer82 View Post

Although this is a broad question, what are the attributes consultants look for when hiring contractors? And does a difference in the rate make a big difference?

Thanks
    Mostly that they have contracted before.

Unfortunately it's a chicken and egg situation........
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The most important difference between a permie and a contractor is; no one knows how much a contractor knows, and how much s/he is worth. If the client needs expertise in a particular field, you always seem to have plenty of knowledge and experience.

On a second thought, you just have to look for niche sector or skill to start the contracting career. If there are plenty of experienced contractors available for your sector, you will probably be sidelined. Your last job is only 1 year, so can you not say that was a fixed term 12 months contract, instead of a permanent role? It hardly makes any difference though.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
        Your last job is only 1 year, so can you not say that was a fixed term 12 months contract, instead of a permanent role? It hardly makes any difference though.
        Because that would be lying but you are right it would make very little difference.

As a contractor you are expected to be an expert in your field <cough> and be able to hit the ground running with no training and little handholding. Your experience doesn't really lend itself to this picture.

Where was your other 3 years done?

You also, as mentioned, don't mention your skills which makes a huge difference.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi,

I have been in UK in a permanent job as a Business Analyst for over a year, and want to try my hand at Contracting.

I've sent out my CV to quite a few consultants, but havent had much success yet.
          I've tried tweaking my CV to make it more contract worthy, but I dont know whether that is making a difference.

Thanks
          This doesn't answer your question, but try for some poorly paid contracts, which will get you contract experience. Nobody will know what your last daily rate was.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks
            Hi Aparna

One major attribute is to be as cheap as chips. With plenty of Bobs overloading the IT ecosystem in the past few years, with many of them "highly skilled" and ready to execute any project as quickly and cheaply as possible, you will need to hit a niche sub system and create a demand for yourself.

There are probably about a million business analysts at the moment vying for the hundred or so contracts available, so think for yourself, what is it that you have that others havent ?
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Because that would be lying but you are right it would make very little difference.

As a contractor you are expected to be an expert in your field <cough> and be able to hit the ground running with no training and little handholding. Your experience doesn't really lend itself to this picture.

Where was your other 3 years done?

You also, as mentioned, don't mention your skills which makes a huge difference.
              Hi,

I understand what you mean by being an expert in the field, but I'm wondering how does one go about starting the process? Should I be sticking on to permanent jobs till I am more experienced?

The previous three years were working for a Japanese firm in a part BA/ part developer capacity. The domain was different.
              Could you elaborate what you mean by dont mention your skills? I'm trying not to boast too much of skills that I dont possess lest the interview process bring the whole thing down!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Hi Aparna

One major attribute is to be as cheap as chips. With plenty of Bobs overloading the IT ecosystem in the past few years, with many of them "highly skilled" and ready to execute any project as quickly and cheaply as possible, you will need to hit a niche sub system and create a demand for yourself.

There are probably about a million business analysts at the moment vying for the hundred or so contracts available, so think for yourself, what is it that you have that others havent ?
                That makes sense. But my problem is to be not too generic to be ignored, but not too specific to not get anything at all!
                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X