• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iphone app development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iphone app development

I'm a complete non-programmer and fancy having a go at creating an app for the iPhone.

Anyone recommend a decent straightforward plane English book to get me started? Preferably with a CD included.

Cheers

Writing iPhone apps is hard, as a "complete non-programmer" you have no chance mate.

Comment

Use Flash...

Comment

oh well might as well give up then...

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
          oh well might as well give up then...

Anyone else?
          Try Android.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Use unity. It's not cheap mind
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
              I'm a complete non-programmer and fancy having a go at creating an app for the iPhone.

Anyone recommend a decent straightforward plane English book to get me started? Preferably with a CD included.

Cheers
              iPhone apps are written in Objective C. So the first step is a crash course in C.

You'll need an ide so first try bloodshed

Once you progress past C tutorials and get familiar with IDEs then you will want to switch to something like either Eclipse
              or an MS IDE such as the Visual Studio Express ide. They do allow you to create basic C apps as opposed to those flowery paisley neckerchiefed .Net interpreted nonsense apps.

Once you have C under your belt then you would need to do a crash course in objective C.

Now you are proficient in objective C you will now need to acquire the iPhone SDK, and part with around £300.

Then in answer to your original question I would suggest IPhone Application Development for Dummies.

And then you're all set.

Or if that is all too much either hire one of us to write it and split the lucre. Or learn java and write an Android app as CH suggests which has a slightly lower barrier to entry.

HTH
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Now you are proficient in objective C you will now need to acquire the iPhone SDK, and part with around £300.

£59 - linky

Comment

Or, learn HTML 5 and write an app that runs on both iBollox and Android via something called a web browser.

It's the future. Even Microsoft admit it, as it looks like they're dropping SilverShyte for HTML5.

Windows 8: Microsoft?s high-stakes .NET tablet gamble ? The Register
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

If you don't know anything your options are:-

HTML 5 as with a bit of work it will support facebook, android and ios.

appcelerator Titanium supports android and ios and is based on javascript.

Mono is c# based and has ios and android outputs.

Unity is c# based and has ios and android outputs it seems biased towards games so may not meet your needs.

All of them will cost money on top of the apple mac and $99 apple developers fee you also need to buy but if you know any other language they will be a worthwhile investment compared to the time it takes to learn and write in objective C.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X