• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from a Lousy Mobile Dongle Connection Vol. LXXV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from a Lousy Mobile Dongle Connection Vol. LXXV

If this connection lets me get them through, you can look at these while I wander into town for some dinner:
    • Here Be Monsters - "They did it for the simplest of reasons: adventure. Three friends, on a drunken dare, set out in a dinghy for a nearby island. But when the gas ran out and they drifted into barren waters, their biggest threat wasn't the water or the ocean—it was each other." The remarkable story of three teenagers from Tokelau who survived fifty-one days adrift in the Pacific.

• Humans: Why They Triumphed - "How did one ape 45,000 years ago happen to turn into a planet dominator? The answer lies in an epochal collision of creativity." Possibly also by not stealing boats when drunk...

• Living in SF Means... - "Living in San Francisco means having worked at a start-up, made lattes, mixed Bloody Marys, sold tulipty clothing, waited on morons, and invested your heart, your soul, and all your energy into a nonprofit. It means still walking dogs, still trimming weed, still babysitting, still doing random gigs from Craigslist, still participating in clinical test studies at UCSF, still doing whatever the **** it takes to pay rent in this city. It means thinking that half a million dollars for a one-bedroom condo is totally normal." And more besides, apparently.

• "Literally Unbelievable" - There are people on Facebook who don't realise that the stories in The Onion are satire. Here they are.

• The Fifty-Nine Storey Crisis - "What's an engineer's worst nightmare? To realize that the supports he designed for a skyscraper like Citicorp Center are flawed---and hurricane season is approaching." The remarkable story of how the engineer of what was then the seventh-tallest building in the world realised that he'd done it wrong - and had to own up so they could fix it.

• How I Failed, Failed, and Finally Succeeded at Learning How to Code - "The programming website Project Euler provides a plan for how to learn anything in fun, discrete steps."

• Cover Browser - "View 450,000+ covers of comics, books and more." That just about sums it up

• Given our current technology and with the proper training, would it be possible for someone to become Batman? - Interesting question attracts excellent answers on Q&A site Quora.

• The Ballmer Days Are Over - "He’s employee number 30 and has been with Microsoft since mid-1980. In 2000, after nearly 20 years of service, Microsoft promoted Steve Ballmer to Chief Executive Officer." Ben Brooks thinks it's about time he left.

• I'm not racist, but... - "I search public facebook posts for 'not racist but' and post examples of how not racist people are." Another excellent collection of Facebook imbeciles

Happy invoicing

The cover browser. Wicked.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      The cover browser. Wicked.
      Got

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/ch...known/28-1.jpg

Right in front of me now.

Comment

Oh no Project Euler theres goes more time spent tinkering
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          [*]Living in SF Means... - "Living in San Francisco means having worked at a start-up, made lattes, mixed Bloody Marys, sold tulipty clothing, waited on morons, and invested your heart, your soul, and all your energy into a nonprofit. It means still walking dogs, still trimming weed, still babysitting, still doing random gigs from Craigslist, still participating in clinical test studies at UCSF, still doing whatever the **** it takes to pay rent in this city. It means thinking that half a million dollars for a one-bedroom condo is totally normal." And more besides, apparently. ...
          Do you notice something odd about one of the comments:

You know I was gonna rip this blog a new arsehole,but then I figured it out...this isn't about Being from SF ,but living here. The city has alot more to offer than these hipster trends listed in this blog. As a matter of fact I was born at St. Marys Grew up in the Fillmore and have spent more time in my city's most run down areas than I care to admit. All I am trying to say is although this is a funny blog it does not represent My San Francisco very well and since I am a native I wonder how many people feel the exact same way ?
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Do you notice something odd about one of the comments:

Native citizen of SF rambles in confusion. Film at 11.

Comment

I miss SF.

Comment

and (s)he's also confused about the native spelling of ass.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

[*]The Fifty-Nine Storey Crisis - "What's an engineer's worst nightmare? To realize that the supports he designed for a skyscraper like Citicorp Center are flawed---and hurricane season is approaching." The remarkable story of how the engineer of what was then the seventh-tallest building in the world realised that he'd done it wrong - and had to own up so they could fix it.
                  There was a very interesting documentary made about this a few years ago
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Excellent, Smithers.

Particularly appreciated the of "guage".
                    Jeez what did they write that in 6pt times new roman? My eyes...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X