• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Graphics cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphics cards

It looks like the graphics card in my desktop PC (an NVidia 7600GT) has died.

What should I do?
    Splurge a grand on a new computer
    31.25%
    Replace it with an ATI 6850 and enjoy FSX at 1920x1200
    37.50%
    Replace it with a £30 el cheapo jobbie
    18.75%
    AndyW's mum should be a enough of a visual feast
    12.50%
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

£30 should get you an NVidia 7600GT.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Your options are totally new computer or a cheapo card but make sure its an Nvidia one otherwise you'll need to reinstall the operating system.

The choice is yours but there is no point going for an all singing all dancing video card if the rest of your computer is three year old tulip.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Depends on what you want to do with your pc. Obviously your 7600 was not going to cut it for the latest games, so if you are happy not playing games get a cheap one. I tend to keep adding to my pc and upgrading it, so I'd buy a better graphics card (£100 to £150) and look at upgrading the rest at a later date
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The choice is yours but there is no point going for an all singing all dancing video card if the rest of your computer is three year old tulip.
          Well, it's more like 4 1/2 years old, but it was well specced at the time

I'm thinking if I go for a decent graphics card now I can carry it over to a new machine later. On the other hand I could splash the cash for a new motherboard, CPU and RAM, but then I would like to put them in a new case with a new PSU as well, and if I do that then I still have a computer that only needs a £25 graphics card to be useful. So I may as well just buy a cheap graphics card and wait a bit longer for a new computer, which is what I planned to do before it broke.

Trouble is I already have the parts list for the new one.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Well, it's more like 4 1/2 years old, but it was well specced at the time

I'm thinking if I go for a decent graphics card now I can carry it over to a new machine later. On the other hand I could splash the cash for a new motherboard, CPU and RAM, but then I would like to put them in a new case with a new PSU as well, and if I do that then I still have a computer that only needs a £25 graphics card to be useful. So I may as well just buy a cheap graphics card and wait a bit longer for a new computer, which is what I planned to do before it broke.

Trouble is I already have the parts list for the new one.
            Start building your new PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Start building your new PC.
              Fractal Design R3 Case
              NZXT Hale90 650W PSU
              Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H motherboard
              i7-2600k CPU (might go for the plain i5-2500 actually)
              8GB DDR3 1333 or 1600
              ATI 6850 graphics card (I don't really need this as the only games I play are FSX and Command and Conquer both of which are happy on my laptop)

I make that a little over £750. I have all the other bits I need, although I'll probably squeeze a new keyboard in as well.

Hard to justify when I'm going to be out of contract at the end of the month though. Although that does mean I'll need something to do...

Comment

Hard to justify when I'm going to be out of contract at the end of the month though. Although that does mean I'll need something to do...
                There you have it. My suggestion is to immediately buy the cheap replacement vid card to stop you considering the upgrade. If end of contract comes in a few weeks then treat yourself to the new PC when you land a new gig. £750 is a lot of cash to spunk on something completely unnecessary when you could be benched in a few weeks. Sorry to be boring

Comment

It looks like the graphics card in my desktop PC (an NVidia 7600GT) has died.

What should I do?
                  What do you use the PC for?

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Your options are totally new computer or a cheapo card but make sure its an Nvidia one otherwise you'll need to reinstall the operating system.
                  Not sure about that one.

You can get a decent card for £50-100 which will have been cutting-edge or close for your PC when it was new.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    What do you use the PC for?
                    Heating my spare room

It's a jack of all trades really. I don't use it that often as I've been working overseas for the last couple of years, but it was used for work, usually in a VM, a bit of music making, the usual photo editing, document editing, internet surfing that any modern computer ought to cope with, and like I say the odd game of FSX or C&C.

Comment

Working...
                    X