• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace.

Seems a long way from Ayn Rand in episode one to last night's Dawkins reinvention of the soul.

You hu-mans are all slaves to your immortal DNA apparently.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Seems a long way from Ayn Rand in episode one to last night's Dawkins reinvention of the soul.

I recorded it. Missed the first minute and it was going on about Aids, gorilla poo and Ipads and game consoles. Decided I needed to watch the first minute and also decided that it was best to let the wife watch Eastenders because if it was going to be complex then frankly she was going to be like a 2 year old watching Einstein doing a mathematical proof.

I'll watch it later.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

What a curious little series that was. Way above my head, but the images of brutality in Rawanda set to a lively beat were curiously uplifting. Maybe my selfish genes have got rythym?

Comment

And all DNA does is make copies of itself over and over and over. Same with RNA. No central processor, no plan, just replicate. 3 letter (out of an alphabet of 4 letters) words specifying 20 different amino acids (plus 'start' and 'stop') that make up 30,000 different proteins. And inside most of our cells are mitochondria that have their own DNA and way of doing things and with which we presumably share a distant ancestor.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

I wonder who made up that schmaltzy sentimental phrase "Machines of loving grace".

I'd rather be free to make a few mistakes than "lovingly" but inexporably imprisoned in thought and deed by a bunch of machines.

Future athiests who try playing God with their machines will find they aren't very good at it.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X