• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tv Assault on the Benefits Culture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tv Assault on the Benefits Culture

Is it me, or has anyone noticed this week that there appears to be an assault on benefit claimants this week.

There was The Fairy JobMother last night, Poor Kids and another one I caught.

The previous night there was something on Newsnight, another feature on the news (where I loved the line, 'It's jobseekers allowance, not job choosers'

In at least three of the programs I caught, it consisted of longterm unemployed stating that they would only take a job they wanted to do as opposed to taking one out of necessity.

As all of the programs were touching on the claimants losing benefits under the new changes & how this was all about how benefits are a way to get back to work as opposed to a life culture.

Do the panel think there has been a step change in the media to now completely villify the unemployed and is it politically biased?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Yep - they are "encouraged" by the Govt to "examine issues" that they want pushed.

A quiet word over a nice lunch and Bobs your uncle (or Auntie perhaps).
    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      May I expect a reduction in my licence tax?
      You may expect it. You may also be disappointed.
      Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
      Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Is it me, or has anyone noticed this week that there appears to be an assault on benefit claimants this week.

The previous night there was something on Newsnight, another feature on the news (where I loved the line, 'It's jobseekers allowance, not job choosers'

In at least three of the programs I caught, it consisted of longterm unemployed stating that they would only take a job they wanted to do as opposed to taking one out of necessity.

As all of the programs were touching on the claimants losing benefits under the new changes & how this was all about how benefits are a way to get back to work as opposed to a life culture.

Do the panel think there has been a step change in the media to now completely villify the unemployed and is it politically biased?
        I watched some of that Poor Kids last night....it was heartbreaking
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I have no issue with the unemployed. People lose their jobs and should be given help so that they don't lose everything they have worked for. What I have an issue with are those who have no intention of working and abuse the benefits system, taking away the money that is meant to help those who really need it. There should be no excuse for people spending years on benefits unless they are so ill or disabled that they can't get a job. Unless your have a medical reason which makes it practically impossible to get a job then all benefits should be given on a sliding scale where the level of benefit falls the longer the person is on it. So people cannot simply choose to stay on benefits because they know they can earn more from doing nothing than they can by going out to work. The longer the person stays in their job, then the sliding scale can be adjusted back accordingly.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I watched the Fairy Job Mother - I noticed that at least 2 of the unemployed had a bit of sob story to stop the viewer dismissing them as workshy whinging scousers.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I watched the Fairy Job Mother - I noticed that at least 2 of the unemployed had a bit of sob story to stop the viewer dismissing them as workshy whinging scousers.
              Apart from the older guy, I don't think they were. They just hadn't had anyone to point them in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                Apart from the older guy, I don't think they were. They just hadn't had anyone to point them in the right direction.
                The only one who seemed to just need direction was the ginger bird

The younger guy had lost his mother when he was training for the police
                The single(?) mother had stopped work to look after her kid (which is fair enough) but was going to be caught by the new rules effecting parents and benefits
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  The only one who seemed to just need direction was the ginger bird

The younger guy had lost his mother when he was training for the police
                  The single(?) mother had stopped work to look after her kid (which is fair enough) but was going to be caught by the new rules effecting parents and benefits
                  But the older fella! I just wanted to knock his teeth out.

'I'm not doing this, I'm not doing that,I'm a scouser, I get to choose what I do, why don't they put taxes up if there's not enough money'

He was like the fella from Royale Family(which is obviously why he was chosen)
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

After 6 months, all benefit should cease and food stamps should be given. End of.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X